Although I am a native of Strasbourg (Alsace), where I was a guide, especially for ToursByLocals, I studied three years in Trois-Rivières (Québec) and I now live for several years near Lévis (Québec).
This is what you can expect from my tours:
- a friendly tour,
- a good overview of the place, without going too fast,
- a brief overview of the local history,
- learn about amusing anecdotes, little stories that give the flavor of the place,
- understand the political issues,
- learn many things about the French-Canadian culture (gastronomy, language, customs, architecture. . . ),
- answers to your questions and some tips about the good spots.
I've more than one string to my bow, but the specific themes for which I excel are :
- military history,
- women's history,
- American history in Quebec City,
- off the beaten path neighbourhoods (like Old Lévis, Old Lauzon, St Jean Baptiste, St Roch),
- genealogy based tours (using your family tree if you had local ancestors),
- polysensorial tours (for blind and visually impaired people).
I'm not just a tour guide. I am also on the board of a local historical society and I am a beekeeper. I was an amateur oarsman (sweep and sculling) in Strasbourg and now I'm an indoor rower. During Winter I work for the Hotel de Glace (ice hotel) as a guide and night guide. I've 3 young kids and live in the countryside.
A Recent Review of this guide
Xavier is very responsive to customer wishes. He's also smart and has a good sense of humor.
Member of the local professional guides association.
Member of the board of a local historical society.