Although I am a native of Strasbourg (Alsace), where I was a guide, especially for ToursByLocals, I studied three years in Trois-Rivières (Québec) and I now live for several years near Lévis (Québec).
This is what you can expect from my tours:
- a friendly tour,
- a good overview of the place, without going too fast,
- a brief overview of the local history,
- learn about amusing anecdotes, little stories that give the flavor of the place,
- understand the political issues,
- learn many things about the French-Canadian culture (gastronomy, language, customs, architecture. . . ),
- answers to your questions and some tips about the good spots.
I've more than one string to my bow, but the specific themes for which I excel are :
- military history,
- women's history,
- American history in Quebec City,
- off the beaten path neighbourhoods (like Old Lévis, Old Lauzon, St Jean Baptiste, St Roch),
- genealogy based tours (using your family tree if you had local ancestors),
- polysensorial tours (for blind and visually impaired people).
I'm not just a tour guide. I am also on the board of a local historical society and I am a beekeeper. I was an amateur oarsman (sweep and sculling) in Strasbourg and now I'm an indoor rower. During Winter I work for the Hotel de Glace (ice hotel) as a guide and night guide. I've 3 young kids and live in the countryside.
A Recent Review of this guide
Xavier was fantastic. We were a private tour with 2 families, 8 people total - ages ranging 24 -64 yrs. Upon meeting Xavier immediately asked key questions to each participant and was then able to tailor the tour to incorporate areas or facts that would be of interest. His knowledge of history is most impressive and he has a terrific sense of humor. Well after our tour ended and during our dinner, we all recalled interesting facts we learned during the tour. 5 star rating....would definitely repeat.
Member of the local professional guides association.
Member of the board of a local historical society.