tasty and epicurean Puglia and Basilicata
The Puglian wine and olive oil tradition dates back from the pre-roman times: several important latin writers described this area as one of the most renowned ones in the Roman Empire in terms of wine and food.
Nowadays, in Puglia and Basilicata regions, it's possible to enjoy a wide range of wines and evo with an excellent value for money and made with indigenous variety of olives and grapes (Negroamaro, Primitivo, Nero di Troia, Aglianico, Black Malvasia, Bombino, Minutolo, etc. ) as well with national and international ones (Sangiovese, Montepulciano, Chardonnay, Merlot, Cabernet, etc. ).
All over this area there is a yummy choice of typical, PDO (Protected Denomination of Origin) products and Slow Food Presidia: cheeses (burrata, mozzarella, caciocavallo, etc. ); bakery products (almond biscuits, the bread and focaccia of Altamura and Matera) and pastry; meat and fish cold cuts; dry and fresh home made pasta; meat and seafood; healthy vegetables, legumes and fruits; artesanal chocolate and ice creams.
Being a wine and olive oil sommelier I can customize the tour depending on your personal tastes, interests and diets: together with wine and food tastings it's possibile to visit the vineyards, the millennium old olive groves, the workshops (winery, olive oil mill, bakery, cheese farm, etc. ) to learn about the making process and to recognize an excellent extra virgin olive oil, to assist to the grape or olive harvesting.
It's also possibile to experience a cooking class (typical cuisine, pastry, bread, etc. ); a stroll to the traditional vegetable and fish markets; a street food tasting; a fishing excursion; a truffle hunting; a visit to a wine (or a folk art and tradition) museum, to an ancient underground olive oil mill; a meal at a masseria (typical farmhouse) or at a restaurant overlooking the seaside.
I can come direclty at your accommodation for a wine and evo tasting or, together with a chef, to prepare a meal with a food pairing menu.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: wherever you like in Puglia or Matera
End location: wherever you like in Puglia or Matera
Duration: 8 hours
This tour is a full day one but it can be reduced to an half day one (only with a couple of the culinary activities mentioned).
For this tour you need a transfer. If you have a vechicle I can come with you otherwise I can arrange for you the transportation by car, van, minibus, bus, wheelchair accessible vehicle, bike, Electric pedal assisted cycle, segway, scooter, vintage car or vespa, etc.
- full day (up to 8 hours) private (I'll be entirely dedicated to you thus you won't share the tour with other travellers) guided visit in English language. I'm a licensed tour guide, wine and olive oil sommelier.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
20 EUR - it depends on the culinary activities chosen and if you like to buy something.
- meals and personal extras;
- extra hour: 30 eur (per group, not per person) for each extra hour (if any) exceding 8 hours;
- wine tastings: the cost change accordingly to the winery, wines, number of people, food pairings. It can go from zero to 30 Eur per person, the average is 10-15 Eur for 3 or 4 wines and breadsticks.
If you like to buy some wine a bottle usually costs from 6 to 25 Eur, the average is 12 Eur. With 35-50 Eur you will have a great wine;
- cheese (mozzarella, caciocavallo, etc.) and/or Capocollo di Martina Franca (typical pork meat cold cut): 10-15 Eur per person;
- Biscotto di Ceglie tasting: free of charge but it's appreciated if you buy something;
- extra-virgin olive oil tasting: 5 eur per person or free of charge (but it's appreciated if you buy something);
- transportation: to be quoted.
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
Alessandro was extremely knowledgeable of everything in Bari and was a pleasure to have as our guide. I would certainly recommend him to others.