Discover volcanic landscapes, cute towns and ancient ruins in this two day private tour
Puebla has a long history as the first new-planned city to be established by the Spanish conquerors. Colonial palaces, tin-glazed tiles workshops, amazing churches, and a renowned gastronomy.
The Tlaxcala area is off most guidebooks but offers a mix of ruins, like Cacaxtla, each with an amazing little-known story behind it. It has a very alive indigenous and colonial heritage, expressed in traditional dishes and beverages such as pulque, and in beautiful church art. And last but not least: all these attractions are against the backdrop of beautiful volcanoes, one of which can even be climbed: the Malinche or Matlacueyetl volcano, 4460 meter high. There is so much to see and do, that I am glad to adapt this tour to your interests.
- Puebla center (Monastery, Rosario chapel, Cathedral, typical sweets, Palafox library, Amparo museum or visit to a talavery tin-glazed tiles workshop)
- Dinner and overnight in comfortable bungalows near the Malinche volcano
- AM Visit to the giant ruins of Cantona OR hike to the summit of the Malinche Volcano (4460m/15000ft; if weather conditions permit)
- A pulque sample or an old pulque hacienda visit
- On the way back: Panoramic visit of Tlaxcala and the Sanctuary of Ocotlan with an amazing baroque decoration OR Cacaxtla fortified site and its ancient mural painting with a remarkable maya influence (800 AD)
Suggested night at the charming San Luis Malinche bungalows, where host Mariana welcomes us with a dinner and a big smile. I can arrange booking for you, and accomodation can be paid directly to them. If you like to spend the night in a urban setting, I can suggest hotels in Puebla or Tlaxcala city.
Meeting Point + Tour Duration
Meeting Point Options: Rail or Bus Station, Airport, Hotel, Address or Intersection, Monument/Building
Duration: 2 days
Volkswagen Transporter 2015 van, AC, 8 passengers
Estimated Local Cash Needed
1000 pesos - Entrance fees, meals and accomodation based on double occupancy
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
Jonas was a truly reliable and thoughtful tour guide. He provided us with great advice on what we should see, and was always flexible and worked with what we wanted to do. My fiancee, her 9 year old daughter and I felt very safe the whole trip. Jonas is very knowledgeable regarding all the sites we visited, and of Mexican history and folklore. I highly recommend Jonas as a tour guide.