The Ultimate Wellington film location tour, I've been guiding in Middle-earth since 2002!
Wellington is the home of film in New Zealand, and some of the best Lord of the Rings scenes were shot in and around the Wellington area. If you are a serious fan of Tolkien and fandoms in general, this is the ultimate fan tour to take while you're in town.
What sets this tour apart is a hike to the Putangirua Pinnacles, which was used as a filming location for The Paths of the Dead. It's a long drive and a serious walk, which is why it's not included on any single day LOTR tour.
We also visit all the major filming locations in and around Wellington, and join the Weta Workshop tour, which showcases the art, props, prosthetics and processes that make them the best in the world at what they do.
I've been guiding LOTR tours since 2002, and bring my personal experience as an Uruk-Hai extra on The Fellowship of the Ring. We will geek out and share our love of Tolkien, and film & fantasy in general!
Your tour is all inclusive, and covers meals and the Weta tour price.
Film locations visited include:
- River Anduin
- The Paths of the Dead (Putangirua Pinnacles in real life)
- Gardens of Isengard
- Faramir Dreams of Boromir
- Aragorn is rescued by Brego
- "Get off the Road" Scene
- Fleeing the Ringwraith in the Outer Shire
- The Black Gate
Other places we visit:
- Scorchorama Cafe (where the stars used to hang out)
- Roxy Cinema
- Embassy Cinema (home of the Return of the King and the Unexpected Journey world premieres)
- Weta Workshop, for the Workshop tour and documentary
- Mount Victoria Lookout (because it's beautiful!)
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: Staying in Wellington: I can collect you from anywhere in the CBD, or Wellington Airport.
End location: I can either drop you back where we started or somewhere central in the city.
Duration: 2 days
Beautiful black late model Mercedes-Benz Viano minivan, with privacy glass and black leather interior. Limo style seating, premium sound system, air-conditioned front and rear. 4/5 seats in the rear, 1 more seat beside the driver.
- Private luxury transport and expert guide
- Morning tea/coffee
- Weta Workshop tour & documentary
- 2 x lunches
- Bottled water
- Pickup from Wellington accommodation.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
50 NZD - There is a pretty amazing gift shop at Weta Workshop. Items range from around $10 to $30,000+ (for an incredible sword!).
- You will have to arrange your own accommodation before, during and after the tour.
- Any personal purchases or expenses.
As a licensed guide, I have no restrictions.