The perfect introduction to Heidelberg and it's history .....
This tour is the best way to get acquainted life in Heidelberg today & it's long & fascinating history. We will visit;
- The University - founded in 1386, it's the oldest in all Germany
- 'Haupstrasse' - the Main Street & longest pedestrianised St. in Europe.
- 'Old Bridge' over the River Neckar & symbol of Romance.
- Ancient Churches - Protestant & Catholic.
- Martin Luther - and the Square where spoke out against Catholic excesses
- University Library - see the 'Codex Manesse', one of the world's oldest books.
- Realx in a local, cosy cafe with home made Cake.
- Tour Heidelberg Castle - enjoy panoramic views of the Old Town & Rhine Valley.
- Admire the Castle Courtyard & learn about the famous French invasion of 1689.
- Be amazed by the biggest wine barrel in the world in the Castle Wine Cellar.
- Stroll around the legendary Garden - the 8th World Wonder.
NB. A range of very pleasurable boat trips on the River Neckar can also be arranged.
Shorters tours of 2 hrs(€200) & 3 hrs(€250) are possible.
Visit to the famous Heidelberg Castle and Garden, including panoramic views of the whole city and region. Plus the old student prison, the beautiful market squares, the old town and many interesting sites on the way.
Shorter city tour (2hrs & 3hrs) are also possible . . . .
Or would you like to:
-visit some local breweries or tour a Heidelberg microbrewery?
-eat a meal in an authentic old style German restaurant?
-walk along the historic "Philosopher's Walk"in the steps of Goethe and other famous German philosophers.
- enjoy a private wine-tasting session in the exclusive setting of the Heidelberg castle wine cellar.
Everything is possible - you just have to ask . . . . . .
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: Heidelberg centre.
End location: Main Street Heidelberg, leaving you free to explore the city centre on your own if you wish. Or back to your Hotel is also possible.
Duration: 4 hours
I offer 20% discount for all school trips.
They might also prefer a shorter 2/3 hr tour.
I can also offer shorter tours. From 1.5 hrs - 4 hrs.
Walking. Funicular railway to castle ( optional)
Guiding around all the major attractions of the old town. Including the famous Old Bridge, the Heilige Geist Church, the Main Street and it's best shops, University Buildings, the Castle and much much more.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
10 € - For a drink in a beautiful cafe with German cakes and souvenirs.
Entrance to the Heidelberg Castle - €7 adults, €4 children. (Includes funicular railway up to the Castle)
Optional : entrance to the student prison - €3 adults, €2,50 children.
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
Henry is a great guide. Very knowledgeable about the Heidelberg area. Very patient and accommodating!