City, Museums / Culture, Youth and Family
Kid Friendly: Yes. If customers request to visit a juke joint or mojo shops, sights and sounds may not be suitable for children.
You must be able to get in and out of a car
Maximum travelers: 3
Experience "the land where the blues began" with a local guide
This tour is circular in nature, beginning in Memphis, Tennessee and traveling down the historic Highway 61, taking in such churches, graveyards (legendary and actual), museums and other locations pertaining to the lives of the great blues masters such as Robert Johnson, B. B. King, Charley Patton and W. C. Handy. The tour visits numerous delta towns and includes the Blues museums in Leland and Clarksdale, where the blues greats are described.
Those who have experienced my tour in the past have remarked "to hear this music while standing on this ground has given me a full experience of the blues". The tour tries to introduce the visitor to the key locations of a vital American music form.
Those who do the tour on Saturday can also join me on Sunday morning, and are treated to a few hours of Rev. Al Greene live at his church in Memphis.
We'll meet at your accommodations in Memphis.
During the tour, we'll see:
- Depart Memphis, TN
- Highway 61
- Clarksdale, MS
- Leland MS
- Mid-Delta including Indianola MS (B. B. King's grave and museum)
- Greenwood Area
- Back to Memphis
Customers may also request additional or substitute locations.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: Hopefully, it will begin at your hotel entrance, but another location may be requested.
End location: Hopefully, it will begin at your hotel entrance, but another location may be requested.
Duration: 11 hours
Tour will travel in a Dodge Ram 2500.
- My time and service as your private guide.
- Transportation is provided in a Dodge Ram 2500.
- Various printed materials may be provided such as brochures, etc.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
35 USD - - Lunch, or any other food or drink
- Admission to the Delta Blues Museum
- Admission to the BB King Museum
- Admission to Delta Blues Museum in Clarksdale,
- Delta Museum in Leland,
- Any other admissions and cost of food for meals is not included.
- Any personal purchases or expenses are also not included.