Get to know the real history of San Juan with a historian as your private guide.
Founded in 1509 by the first Spanish colonial governor, Juan Ponce de León at the location of caparra south of the bay, San Juan has over 500 years of history. First called Caparra, then Puerto Rico when the residents solicited to move it to the islet where it is now located right on the mouth of the bay.
Ride with me in ultimate comfort on my Audi Q7 SUV to see the ruins of Ponce De León's house in Caparra, were the first settlement was created in 1509 close to the gold mines of the Bayamón and Toa River. Next we ride to the old city and begin our walking tour were we'll visit the most emblematic buildings and streets of the walled city like; the SJ Cathedral, El Morro Fort, San Jise Church etc. And we also stop for lunch at El Jibarito Rest.
Next we ride out of the city to the modern part of SJ, Santurce were we visit la Plaza del Mercado and San Mateo Church. Finally we head to Boca Cangrejos to learn all about the SJ estuary and it's importance to history.
1. Pick up between 930am to 10am (San Juan metro area)
2. First we head to the ruins of Caparra the original site of the capital
3. After Caparra we head to Old San Juan to begin our walking tour of the city
4. In Old San Juan we'll visit the following sites: Paseo de la Princesa, SJ Cathedral, SJ Gate, El Morro Fort, Ballaja, San Sebastian St. , Fortaleza St. , Cristo St. , San Jose Church and Plaza, Plaza
5 Centenario, etc. Plus we'll stop for lunch at the famous El Jibarito for an authentic puertorrican meal.
5. Next we ride out of the old city towards Santurce were we stop at la Plaza del Mercado and San Mateo Church to learn about the first populations that established themselves outside the cities walls.
6. Finally we head to Boca de Cangrejos were we learn about the natural history of the SJ estuary and it's importance.
*The above itinerary is a suggestion, and can be adjusted per your preferences*
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: Pick up at your hotel or location
End location: Drop off at your hotel or location
Duration: 6 hours
We go at your pace so the duration time is up to you. Six hours is plenty of time, is up to you if you want to do it in more or less time.
You will ride in an 2017 Audi Q7 SUV for six passenger luxury tourist limo.
My vehicle can accommodate up to 4 adults comfortably. We can take 5 people, but with less space for everyone. Please contact me for the details.
Transportation in a 2017 Audi Q7 Luxury SUV
Guided walking tour of Old San Juan by a Historian
Visit to the Caparra Ruins
Visit to Boca Cangrejos
Visit to Barrio San Mateo de los Cangrejos
Estimated Local Cash Needed
20 Dollars - For extra snacks or drinks
- Any personal expenses
- My vehicle can not go in to El Yunque National Rainforest.
- I do not do tours inside the two forts in old San Juan
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
We took Javi (Francisco) as a guide to see the great history of San Juan, PR. Javi was great, knowledgeable, interesting, with a great way of telling stories. Javi was friendly, communicative and fun. We all enjoyed the tour. Highly recommended!