A visit to Japan's beautiful ancient capital
Discover the beauty of the ancient capital of Japan, its impressive World heritage temples and shrines, beautiful gardens and of course lots of very friendly deers that roam freely in the city. . .
Less than an hour by train, Nara makes the perfect day trip out of Kyoto. We'll stroll through one of the most amazing gardens, visit the biggest wooden structure in the world, home of the most famous Big Buddha statue in Japan, maybe even try to earn enlightenment trying to squeeze through "Buddha's nostril"! We'll walk up an atmospheric set of covered stairs to the impressive Nigatsudo Hall from where you'll enjoy magnificent views of the city.
After lunch will traverse the upper part of Nara Park and reach Kasuga shrine, famous for its thousand stone and bronze lanterns. Later we'll walk past Kofukuji Pagoda and picture perfect Sarusawa pond. If times allows it, before heading back to Kyoto we'll stroll through Nara Machi, the former merchant district.
- Depart from Kyoto by JR or Kintestu Line
- Arrive in Nara
- Stroll around Insuen garden (green tea optional)
- Visit Todaiji temple (Great Buddha Hall)
- Enjoy great views from Nigatsu Hall
- Visit Kasuga shrine and its thousand lanterns
- Stop at Kofukuji Pagoda and Sarusawa Pond
- Stroll around the old town area of Nara Machi
- Return to Kyoto by JR or KIntetsu Line
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: Your hotel or railway station.
End location: Your hotel or railway station.
Duration: 8 hours
Mostly a walking tour but we will ride the train from Kyoto to Nara in the morning and back to Kyoto at the end of the tour.
- My time and service as your private guide.
- Your Guide's lunch, transportation and entrance fees.
- Personal itinerary consultation service and tailor-made tour
Estimated Local Cash Needed
1500 yen - - Lunch (1000-1500yen)
- Entrance to Isuien garden (900yen)
- Entrance to Todai-ji (500yen)
- Optional entrance to Kasuga inner shrine (500yen)
*Please notice that religious sites and small restaurants do not accept credit cards but cash payments only.
It's strongly advised for travelers to have their own insurance.
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
Nara is a wonderful place to visit, especially with children. We saw a bery beautiful private garden as well the temples and lantern shrine. Luca is a great guide - he is very well versed in the history but also local customs and knowledge about Japan. We learned a lot. Our children had a wonderful time as well. Highly recommend this tour and guide.