Europe's best-kept secret!
We will walk in the medieval city centre of Ghent, a vibrant student city, owner of the largest cultural festival in Europe (half July).
We see Saint-Michael's bridge with the famous three towers, called 'the medieval Manhattan'. We face the most beautiful street of Belgium 'Graslei' full of old guildhouses. We walk through the Great Butchers' Hall (closed on Mondays) and stand face to face with an impressive medieval fortress: the castle of the counts.
During the tour, we also see modern art, a streetlamp that is blinking when a child is born, a building that got a nickname 'the sheep pen', the graffiti street and finally, we arrive in front of the beautiful cathedral with free inside visit, where I guide you.
Possibility for optional visit and explanation of the altarpiece 'The Adoration of the Mystic Lamb', strongly recommended! (€ 4, 00 per person, not between 12. 00 and 13. 00. Closed on Sunday morning).
A walking tour of maximum 1½ mile / 2½ km along highlights and hidden corners, full of anecdotes with free inside visits of the Great Butchers' Hall (closed on Mondays) and Saint Bavo's Cathedral.
Possibility for optional visit and explanation of the altarpiece 'the Adoration of the Mystic Lamb' (strongly recommended!).
A canal boat trip can be the perfect addition to your walking tour (40 minutes).
* I recommend comfortable shoes to walk on cobblestones (can be slippery in case of rain).
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: Anywhere in the city center of Ghent (your hotel) or the railway station 'Gent Sint-Pieters', where we need a taxi (about € 15 ) or tram/streetcar to go to the city center (about € 4,00 one-way ticket, extra per person).
End location: Anywhere in the city center of Ghent (your hotel) or the railway station 'Gent Sint-Pieters'.
To go back from the city center to the railway station, we need taxi (about € 15) or tram (€ 4 one-way ticket extra per person)
Duration: 2 hours 30 min.
Up to 45 minutes more when pick-up is at the railway station 'Gent Sint-Pieters' where we need taxi or tram/streetcar to go to the city centre.
As this is a walking tour, you don't need transport inside the city center, except when the meeting location is the railway station 'Gent Sint-Pieters'. In this case, we need public transport (tram-line number 1) or taxi to the city center.
- Service as your personal tour guide
- Free map
- Free public restrooms/toilets
- Advice about restaurants, museums, shopping.
- During the walking tour, I'm at your disposal for all your questions.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
25 EURO - average lunch is about € 25 per person.
consider extra € 4,00 per person if you want to visit the altarpiece 'Adoration of the Mystic Lamb'
- Entrance fee for the optional visit of the altarpiece 'Adoration of the Mystic Lamb' € 4,00 per person extra (not open between 12 and 13 o'clock and closed on Sunday morning).
- If the meeting location is the railway station: tram/streetcar about € 4,00 (one-way ticket) per person, to go to the city centre by tram/streetcar or taxi (about € 15,00 one-way ticket)
- If applicable, transport to meeting location (train, taxi).
- Personal drinks, food, souvenirs, shopping, etc.
- Entrance fees museums, the castle of the counts, canal boats (€ 7,50 per person).