Takao temples, mountain villages and zen gardens
A remarkable ride through green valleys and picturesque villages in the mountains north of Kyoto. After traversing the city east to west and going through the bizarre "Monster street" we'll start our journey through valleys and mountains north of the city. We'll visit beautiful and peaceful mountain temples, maybe you'll even have the chance to experience "clay plates throwing" into the river valley below. We'll go through a unique logging village with massive traditional wooden warehouses, climb along narrow and beautiful mountain roads completely immersed in nature. We'll have the chance to refill our water bottles from natural springs and have lunch in a beautiful log house perched on the mountain side. A long descent with some remarkable views will take us to back to the city but not before visiting one of the most beautiful zen gardens in Kyoto.
- Start from Sanjo, in the heart of Kyoto, and cross the city east to west.
- Ride through Monster street.
- Start the climb to the mountain village of Takao
- Visit the mountain temples of Saimyo-ji and Jingo-ji.
- Ride across the sleepy logging village of Nakagawa.
- Climb a winding and peaceful mountain road.
- Eat lunch near the top of the mountain.
- Start the descent to the city centre and visit the beautiful zen garden at Genko-an.
- Return to Sanjo.
The tour will follow minor roads whenever possible. Please wear comfortable clothes appropriate for the season and shoes suitable for exercising. Jeans are NOT recommended.
It is Recommended to bring sunglasses or some eye protection and a hat.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: We will meet at Exit 10 of Keihan Sanjo station and proceed to the bike depositary just 20 meters away.
End location: We will return our bikes to the bike depositary near Keihan Sanjo station.
Duration: 7 hours
The tour could take slightly longer depending on weather conditions or pace of participants. The bike course may be changed due to road conditions.
This is a bicycle tour.
- My time and service as your private guide.
- Your guide's transportation, lunch and entrance fees.
- Bike and helmet rental.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
4000 yen - Temples entrance fees, lunch (around 1500yen), refreshments, snacks.
*Please notice that religious sites and small restaurants do not accept credit cards but cash payments only.
- Admission fees to the temples.
- Refreshments and snacks during the ride.
It's strongly advised for travelers to have their own insurance.
I do not have a commercial driver's licence so I can only drive during tours if the car is rented and costs shared.