Northern Kyoto Bicycle tour with a local guide and cycling expert
A unique chance to experience a more rural side of Japan only a short ride away from Kyoto. After leaving the city behind we'll ride first along rivers, past rice fields, vegetable groves and cedar forests. We'll visit one of the oldest and finest temples in the Kyoto area, take a stroll in its beautiful gardens dotted in places with some unusual stone statues peeking out from the moss, maybe contemplate the gardens while sipping a cup or real green Matcha tea. Later, after a few up and downs we'll enter a new valley and head for our second destination of the day, where we'll have a well deserved lunch in one of the restaurants lining up along the mountain stream that runs through this quaint village. After a weel deserved lunch and a short and easy ride, we'll reach our final destination, an historical village where you'll get the option of soaking in a natural outdoor hot spring set at the foot of the mountain, the best way to relax those tired muscles before heading back to Kyoto.
- Start from Sanjo, in the heart of Kyoto and gently follow the Kamo and Takano rivers.
- Ride slightly uphill all the way to the picturesque village of Ohara, visit Sanzen-in temple and its beautiful gardens, possibly Hosen-in temple too.
- Leave Ohara, go across the Ebumi pass and eventually enter the valley leading to the village of Kibune.
- Visit Kibune Shrine and have lunch in one of the restaurants that line up Kibune River.
- Leave Kibune and ride to the village of Kurama Spa.
- Visit Yuki Shrine.
- (Optional) Experience a Japanese outdoor bath at Kurama Spa.
- Head back to Kyoto on a mostly downhill ride.
The tour will follow dedicated cycling paths and minor roads as much as possible. Please wear comfortable clothes appropriate for the season and shoes suitable for exercising. Jeans are NOT recommended
Recommended to bring sunglasses or some eye protection and a hat.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: We will meet at exit 10 of Keihan Sanjo station and proceed to the bike depositary just 20 meters away.
End location: We will return our bikes to the bike depositary near Keihan Sanjo station.
Duration: 7 hours
The tour could take slightly longer depending on weather conditions or pace of participants. The bike course may be changed due to road conditions. Departure time can be modified to suit participants and depending on weather conditions.
This is a bicycle tour.
- My time and service as your private guide.
- My transportation, lunch and entrance fees.
- Bike and helmet rental.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
5000 yen - Admission fee at Sanzen-in temple (700yen), admission including maccha green tea at Hosen-in temple (800yen), lunch (around 1500yen), entrance to the outdoor spa (1000yen), towel rental (200yen) at the spa if needed, refreshments, snacks. Please notice that religious sites and small restaurants do not accept credit cards but cash payments only.
Lunch, refreshments and snacks during the ride. Entrance and, if needed, towel rental at the hot spring.
Your temples admission fee.
It is strongly advised for travelers to have their own insurance.
I do not have a commercial driver's licence so I can only drive during tours if the car is rented and costs shared.