Enjoy a memorable half day in Pink Lake with a private guide
This **pink colored lake** located in Senegal, Africa its called Lake Retba or Lac Rose. It is so named for its pink waters, caused by cyanobacteria in the water. A type of single-celled halophile (salt-loving) microorganism which is red or purple in colour. The water of lake actually changes from mauve to deep pink in colour, depending on the time of day and amount of sunlight. The color is particularly visible during the dry season.
The lake is also known for its high salt content, which, like that of the Dead Sea, allows people to float easily. The lake also has a small salt collecting industry and is often the finishing point of what used to be the Dakar Rally.
For most of the year salt fishing is the major activity of the lake. Women in Senegal spend up to 14 hours a day on the banks of this lake to harvest salt. Each liter of water has about 380 grams of salt. Seen from above, with piles of white salt lining the shore, the lake appears as a pool of colour in a black and white landscape.
- Pick up from the place of your choice
- Drive to the Lake through the high way
- Visiting a market in a small village called Niague on the way
- Hire boats to visit the lake in its color and its salt activities. See the salt harvesting precess.
- Tour the desert and dunes, what used to be the arriving point of the Paris-Dakar, with a 8x8 car.
There are a couple of other optional activities in place like camel riding and quad.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: At the place of your choice
End location: At the place of your choice
Duration: 4 hours
You will be transported in a nice 4x4 Ford Explporer with A/C.
- Transportation fee in a 4x4 Ford Explorer with AC
- Toll & Parking
- Guiding fee
- 8x8 car to tour the dunes
Estimated Local Cash Needed
30000 XOF - Lunch, drink, camel ridding or quad and personal stuff
Restaurant, refreshment, camel ridding or quad.
I have no particular restrictions.