Tour key sites associated with the Communist regime and get a glimpse into daily life during Communism with a private guide
This content-rich tour will undoubtedly leave a long lasting impression. While Ceausescu's House of the People, is a popular tourist objective, its significance as center and symbol of Ceausescu's political power and its impact on the city are not highlighted by the official guided tours. You will learn how the House emerged in the heart of the city and gain a better understanding of how Bucharest has been affected in its recent history.
You will see key sites and monuments associated with the communist regime and Romanian anti-communist revolution of 1989 and will get an understanding of what happened in Romania from the establishment of communism to degeneration and collapse.
This is a private and personal tour, so I will be there to answer all your questions. We can take our time to sit and talk over a cup of coffee, and I can tell you what you would like to know about what was it like to live in Communist Romania.
In case you are more than 4 people and need a larger vehicle I can arrange for a minivan.
• The Revolution Square, the starting point of the demonstrations that led to the fall of dictatorship; see the balcony where the dictator Ceausescu addressed the people for the last time (short account on the Revolution)
• University Square, a site closely related to the dramatic events of the 1989 Revolution in Bucharest.
• Visit of the House of the People, including the presidential balcony where Ceausescu intended to hold his public speeches. The balcony provides a large view of the former "Victory of Socialism" boulevard.
• Visit the exhibition of the Sighet Memorial in Bucharest, a moving account of the anti-communist resistance and repression in Romania.
• Casa Scanteii, a Stalinist era symbol standing among the most interesting edifices in Bucharest, the only one bearing "Hammer and Sickle" and other communist insignia
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: I will pick you up from your hotel or place of choice (within city limits) at the agreed time
End location: Your hotel or place of choice (within city limits)
Duration: 7 hours
Transportation by private car, a 5-seater Volkswagen Golf, fabrication year 2017, fully insured, air conditioned
*English/Romanian guide service
*transportation (within city limits) by 2017 Volkswagen Golf air conditioned for up to 4 persons
*all parking fees and fuel
Estimated Local Cash Needed
120 Lei - Extra 120 Lei/person needed to cover the entrance fee at the Parliament Palace (35 Lei or 9 USD/person) and optional meal at the restaurant (80 Lei/person or 20 USD/person)
*the entry fee at the Palace of Parliament
*any meals or drinks you choose to buy
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
Cris is a perfect guide, she has in depth and well considered answers to any question you could ever have, she cares about the subject matter and brings you along with her enthusiasm.