Tour key sites associated with Communist era and the 1989 Romanian anticommunist revolution, with a personal guide
This content-rich tour will undoubtedly leave a long lasting impression.
Visit key sites and monuments associated with the communist regime and 1989 Romanian anti-communist revolution, and get an understanding of what happened in Romania from the establishment of communism to degeneration and collapse.
Learn how the (in)famous Palace of Parliament was built in the heart of the city and how Bucharest has been affected in its recent history.
This is a private and personal tour, so I will be there to answer all your questions. We can sit and talk over a cup of coffee or during lunch, and I can tell you what you would like to know about what was it like living in Communist Romania.
We conveniently use my good 2017 Volkswagen Golf, that can accommodate up to 4 people. In case you are more than 4 people and need a larger vehicle I can arrange for a minivan.
• The Revolution Square, starting point of the demonstrations that led to the fall of dictatorship; see the balcony where the dictator Ceausescu addressed the people for the last time (short account on the Romanian 1989 anticommunist Revolution)
• University Square, iconic site closely related to the dramatic events of the 1989 Revolution in Bucharest.
• Inside guided visit of the famous House of the People, including the presidential balcony where Ceausescu intended to hold his public speeches. Learn about the political and social context when the vast structure was built and gain a better understanding of the last years of communism
• Visit the exhibition of the Sighet Memorial in Bucharest, a moving account of the anti-communist resistance and repression in Romania. [*the exhibition is currently close as the building undergoes restoration works]
• Casa Scanteii, a Stalinist era symbol standing among the most interesting edifices in Bucharest, the only one bearing communist insignia on the facade
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: I will pick you up from your hotel or place of choice (within city limits) at the agreed time
End location: Your hotel or place of choice (within city limits)
Duration: 7 hours
Transportation by private car, a 5-seater Volkswagen Golf, fabrication year 2017, fully insured, air conditioned
- English language guide service
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Transportation (within city limits) by 2017 Volkswagen Golf air conditioned for up to 4 persons
- All parking fees and fuel
Estimated Local Cash Needed
120 Lei - Extra 120 Lei/person needed to cover the entrance fee at the Parliament Palace (35 Lei or 9 USD/person) and optional meal at the restaurant (80 Lei/person or 20 USD/person)
- The admission fee at the Palace of Parliament
- The cost of food and drink of your choice throughout the tour
It is possible to adapt the tour and include an inside visit of Primaverii Palace, Ceausescu's private residence where he used to live. (+10 USD/person for the admission fee)
* Primaverii Palace is not open for visits on Mondays and Tuesdays
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
Cris is a perfect guide, she has in depth and well considered answers to any question you could ever have, she cares about the subject matter and brings you along with her enthusiasm.