After successfully completing two-years at the professional Hotel Beverage School, I graduated in 1988.
I started my career in the Hospitality Industry on the Madeira Island, then I moved to Miami to work on cruise ships as Sommelier. I went ahead with my career and became Head Sommelier, responsible for the development of wine lists and delivery of Wine service. Meanwhile, I graduated from the Wine School at Johnson & Wales University in Miami and awarded from the international Sommelier Certificate Foundation Level, by the United States Sommelier Association.
I kept working on cruise ships until I decided to move to London for a while and then to go back to Portugal. Here, I started using my knowledge and experience to show my country and its culture to the travellers and I became a private tour guide.
I have depth knowledge of my country, a warm personality and a great sense of humour.
I really enjoy showing people the charm of Oporto Region/Douro Valley and the surrounding areas. It's great to see and share people's joy and amazement when they discover all this beauty. Therefore, I would like to invite you to visit and enjoy these magnificent places. It will be a pleasure to be your private guide!
A Recent Review of this guide
Paulo was very efficient and attentative, we will recommend toursbylocals to our friends, because of him Thanks Eduardo and Irene
-Excellent knowledge of the history and heritage of the regions of Portugal.
- Awarded the Internacional Sommelier Certificate Foundation Level / after attending Seminars and lessons on wine Theory, Blind tasting, Practical Service and Passed a Written Blind tasting test from the United States Sommelier Association at Wine School at Johnson & Wales University in Miami.
- Certificate course Bar and Restaurant School Hospitality and Tourism of the Porto.
- Certificate from Brow-Forman Beverages Worldwide Wine Group.
- I have a Tour Company Licensed under the nº 1569/2017 the Official Tourism Office of Portugal , For Guide & Driving Tours with mandatory insurances .
- Few years of experience as a private guide.
I am not an official guide and will not be able to guide you inside of some historical monuments.