Hear storied of the lives of New Zealand's earliest inhabitants on a scenic tour of the Wairau Lagoon.
Discover the birth place of New Zealand's first settler's, the Moa Hunter, arriving from Polynesia 800 years ago. See their tools, adornments and the giant bones of the extinct Moa bird at the Marlborough Museum. Visit by private access the 2000 hectare Wairau lagoon where they once gardened and harvested fish and water fowl and lived peacefully in a land of plenty.
I will share with you stories of European pioneer families and their lives as they farmed in the Wairau Valley. From the lookout we will see the mountain where Sir Edmond Hillary's carried out his early mountaineering training and Port Underwood once the whaling capital of New Zealand.
After morning tea you can walk the beautiful beach beside Parinui o Whiti, a wind sculptured bluff, a wonderful subject for photographers. Here there is driftwood, shells, sponges and seaweed. You might be lucky enough to pick up a Paua shell.
Example times only. Will alter to suit cruise ship schedule.
09. 30:We will collect you from Picton Information Centre & depart for the Marlborough Museum. (Please catch the free cruise ship shuttle to Picton, then walk two hundred metres to the Picton Information Centre by following the blue line).
10. 00:View exhibition 'Te Pokohiwi -The Wairau Bar 1250 AD' looking at artefacts discovered in the area to be visited.
10. 30:Depart for the Wairau Lagoon.
11. 15:Hill top views over Cloudy Bay and Wairau and Awatere Valleys. Here stories of local history from your guide.
11. 30am Drive to the White Bluffs.
11. 45am Disembark for walk on the beach or flats at the White Bluffs. Great photo opportunities, look for Paua shells.
12. 30: Depart for Picton.
1. 30: Return to ship by shuttle or enjoy other sights and activities in Picton as time permits.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: If you are in a cruise ship we will collect you from Picton Information Centre. Please catch the free cruise ship shuttle to Picton, then walk two hundred metres to the Picton Information Centre by following the blue line.
If you are a traveller within New Zealand we can meet you either outside the Blenheim or Picton information centre. We can collect you from any accommodation in Blenheim.
We will have a card with your name on it in our front window of the van.
End location: If you are with a cruise ship we will return you to the departure point for the cruise ship shuttle
If you are a traveller within New Zealand we will return you to your departure point.
Duration: 4 hours
This may vary if the ship's schedule changes.
Air conditioned Toyota Hiace 4WD van with intercom.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
50 NZD - There maybe time to call at a local gift shop or boutique food outlet.
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
As a 4th generation New Zealander, Will knows the area extremely well, and will tailor your tour to match your interests. And you will definitely get to visit locations that regular tours never see. Well worth doing.