Your knowledgeable, local private guide brings to life the lives of New Zealand's earliest inhabitants.
Discover the birth place of New Zealand's first settler's, the Moa Hunter, arriving from Polynesia 800 years ago. See their tools, adornments and the giant bones of the extinct Moa.
Visit by private access the 2000 hectare Wairau lagoon where they farmed and caught fish. Hear stories of the early whalers and Sir Edmond Hillary's early mountaineering expeditions.
Walk amongst the driftwood, shells and seaweed beside Parinui o Whiti, a wind sculptured bluff, a photographer's delight.
Example times only. Will alter to suit cruise ship schedule.
09. 30:We will collect you from Picton Information Centre & depart for the Marlborough Museum. (Please catch the free cruise ship shuttle to Picton, then walk two hundred metres to the Picton Information Centre by following the blue line).
10. 00:View exhibition 'Te Pokohiwi -The Wairau Bar 1250 AD' looking at artefacts discovered in the area to be visited.
10. 30:Depart for the Wairau Lagoon.
11. 15:Disembark for walk on the beach or flats at the White Bluffs. Great photo opportunities.
11. 45:Depart for Prenzels Distilling Company on route to Picton. The tour guide will give you a brief description of Prenzels and some of their products before arrival.
12. 15:Prenzels distilling company for a tasting of their liqueurs.
12. 45: Depart for Picton.
1. 30: Return to ship by shuttle or enjoy other sights and activities in Picton as time permits.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: If you are in a cruise ship we will collect you from Picton Information Centre. Please catch the free cruise ship shuttle to Picton, then walk two hundred metres to the Picton Information Centre by following the blue line.
If you are a traveller within New Zealand we can meet you either outside the Blenheim or Picton information centre. We can collect you from any accommodation in Blenheim.
We will have a card with your name on it in our front window of the van.
End location: If you are with a cruise ship we will return you to the departure point for the cruise ship shuttle
If you are a traveller within New Zealand we will return you to your departure point.
Duration: 4 hours
This may vary if the ship's schedule changes.
Air conditioned Toyota Hiace 4WD van with intercom.
All entrance and tasting fees. Transportation. Intercom commentary on board van. Binoculars, hiking sticks if required.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
50 NZD - There maybe time to call at a local gift shop or boutique food outlet.
Purchase of gifts or treats at local outlets.
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
As a 4th generation New Zealander, Will knows the area extremely well, and will tailor your tour to match your interests. And you will definitely get to visit locations that regular tours never see. Well worth doing.