A history private tour with links to some of my ancestors, who lived and farmed on the east coast of Marlborough.
I will give you a commentary on the history of Marlborough and the Flaxbourne Community where I grew up.
Hear the human stories of Cloudy Bay and Port
Underwood, the whaling capital of New Zealand and the crucible of New Zealand civilization.
Enjoy a guided tour and morning tea at Ugbrooke, the largest single story homestead in New Zealand, built in 1885.
Look at the memorabilia of a small farming community at the Flaxbourne Museum.
Stop at the plaque of the first pastoral sheep station in New Zealand and look at the photo history and historic farm equipment at the 'Red Shed'.
Relax with a homemade picnic lunch on Ward Beach, alternatively at the Flaxbourne Homestead. Hear stories of the whale boats which transported wool to ships for export.
This is a flexible tour with wonderful scenic opportunities such as the solar salt works and the color of Marlborough's vineyards.
9. 30 am We will collect you from Picton Information Centre & depart for the Marlborough Museum. (Please catch the free cruise ship shuttle to Picton, then walk two hundred metres to the Picton Information Centre by following the blue line).
10. 30 am Guided tour and morning tea at Ugbrook historic homestead.
11. 45 am Visit a small tour museum in Flaxbourne.
12. 20 pm Visit the plaque of the first pastoral sheep station in New Zealand and look at the photo history and historic farm equipment.
1. 00 pm Homemade picnic at Ward Beach (wet weather option available).
1. 45 pm return to Picton with stops along the way at points of historical interest as time permits.
3. 00 pm Return to ship by shuttle or enjoy other sights and activities in Picton as time permits.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: If you are in a cruise ship we will collect you from Picton Information Centre. Please catch the free cruise ship shuttle to Picton, then walk two hundred metres to the Picton Information Centre by following the blue line.
If you are a traveller within New Zealand we can meet you either outside the Blenheim or Picton information centre. We can collect you from any accommodation in Blenheim.
We will have a card with your name on it in our front window of the van.
End location: If you are with a cruise ship we will return you to the departure point for the cruise ship shuttle
If you are a traveller within New Zealand we will return you to your departure point.
Duration: 5 hours 30 min.
Duration could be affected by the boat changing its departure time
ten seater air conditioned Toyota Hilux van
Morning tea and guided tour of historic homestead.
Homemade Picnic lunch.
Visit to small community museum.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
25 NZ - You may want to do a detour to purchase a bottle of local wine or honey.
If you want to shop or taste wine, any expenses are at your own cost.
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
If I could give Will more stars, he'd get 10 or more. He was fantastic! Very knowledgeable about the area and took us to a lot of places that others on our ship did not see. He made us a terrific lunch and was absolutely delightful in all aspects of the tour. I recommend him very, very highly. Tours By Locals is lucky to have him!!!