Volcanos to Scenic Towns
This tour first takes you up into the mountains because nobody should visit Tenerife without witnessing the spectacular views from above and the dramatic scenery in the Teide National Park, breathtaking evidence that the Canary Islands were formed by prolonged volcanic activity.
We then drive down to the south of the island towards the picturesque northwest agricultural lands before descending to old port of Garachico, whose old town centre retains traditional Canary charm, architecture and history.
From here we have a choice. We either visit the famous thousand yar old Dragon Tree and the beautiful main square in the vineyard town of Icod de Los Vinos or head for the historic northern town of La Orotava to visit a traditional crafts centre set in a nobleman's house dated from the time of the Spanish conquest. The Valley of La Orotava was a favourite destination for early Victorian travellers, artists and scientsts.
09. 00 Meet at port and head straight for the hills. We take the main ridge road as far as Teide National Park, stopping at various viewing points for photographs.
10. 30 We cross Teide National Park, heading to the Roques de García, a collection of extraordinary volcanic rock formations and an ideal spot for amazing photographs. We drive past curious blue sub-volcanic hydro-thermal rocks before crossing the giant Ucanca Valley, a volcanic cauldron and a massive lava field.
11. 30 We head for the beautiful old town of Garachico, once the main port until devastated by a volcanic erruption.
13. 00 Arrive at Garachico (possible stop for lunch) before briefly visiting Icod and the Dragon tree.
15. 00 Arrive at La Orotava to visit arts and crafts centre. (No obligation to purvhase anything but a very interesting old house).
15. 30 Depart from La Orotava.
16. 00 Arrive back at the port
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: If you are on a cruise ship our meeting point will be just outside the new cruise ship terminal building in the port of Santa Cruz de Tenerife. To get there you can take the free cruis shuttle bus which drops you right outside the same building. It takes just five minutes. You can also walk if you prefer.
If you are staying at an hotel on the island or wish to be collected at any other address I will meet you there.
For recognition I shall wear a GREEN cap and carry a GREEN umbrella.
End location: The tour will end at the same point where you were collected.
Duration: 7 hours
Transport will be in a modern, air-conditioned private vehicle, hired car, minibus or taxi unless you have specially requested transport for a larger group.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
15 Euros - I'm suggesting this amount only if you decide to stop for a tapas lunch. I have not included anything for souvenirs, cable cars or other museums, should you decide to visit any. If you decide you would like to take the cable car up Mt. Teide please advise me beforehand as this would require altering our tour timing and itinerary as well as provision to pay for the cable car.
I am not a mountaineer so would not be able to take clients mountain climbing, for example up the slopes of Mount Teide, but I can, of course, take you on the cable car and walking along the many mountain and coastal tracks in Tenerife.
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
Absolutely amazing tour and the guide! My girlfriend and I had a very limited time in Tenerife and we wanted to see and experience as much as possible that can be fit in one day. John picked an appropriate tour for us and took us on an absolutely breathtaking journey through the island. Though it's impossible of course to fully experience something like Tenerife just in one day, we definitely got a taste of what this beautiful place is about. Unforgettable experience! Thank you