Discover the origins of amazing old Amsterdam with a private guide
On this 4 hours' walkingtour I will guide you across the oldest part of our beautiful city.
We will meet in the lobby of your hotel and go to the top of one of the buildings near Central Train Station to have a magnificent view of the whole citycentre and to see how Amsterdam developed near the harbour. Next we will cross to the Zeedijk, the 14th century dyke that protected Amsterdam against the waters of the Zuidersea. We will see one of the oldest wooden houses of the city and explore the former sailors' district with the Old Church, in the middle of the Red Light District. We will taste some of the atmosphere of China Town and see the medieval citygate at Nieuwmarkt.
Have you ever visited a real Roman Catholic church at the attic of a seventeenth century canalhouse? After my tour this so-called secret church won't be a secret to you anymore. Ofcourse we will be walking along the canals nearly all the time, stop for a drink and be amazed by the narrow alleys. Fully satisfied you'll return to your hotel!
* Starting from the lobby of your hotel or Central Train Station, we will stroll across the oldest part of the citycenter. It includes the area around Zeedijk, Red Light District, Chinatown, and the medieval citygate and marketsquare at Nieuwmarkt.
* We will discover the secret of the social and economical growth of Amsterdam between the 14th and 17th century
* One of the highlights of this tour is our visit of the 17th century historical canalhouse with its famous secret church at the attic, called Ons' Lieve Heer op Solder (Our Lord at the Attic)
* we will see the house where Rembrandt used to live. If you wish I can give you a guided tour of the house, but entrance tickets are not included
* We will end this tour near Waterloo square in the former Jewish area, or any other place in the old citycenter that is convenient for you.
I can always customize this tour to your personal wishes and interests, so please let me know your preferences
Meeting Point + Tour Duration
Meeting Point Options: Rail or Bus Station, Cruise Ship Port, Hotel
Duration: 4 hours
The Museum Our Lord in the Attic closes at 5 pm. So for the last tour we'll have to start before 4 pm.
The best way to see Amsterdam is by walking along the canals. If you prefer to be driven, I will customize the tour for you and arrange a comfortable car and driver.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
20 euro - * If required, public transport from the Passenger Terminal to Central Station will be 3 euros per person
* average price for lunch varies between 7 - 20 euros
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
Marianne was WONDERFUL! She is prompt in arrival and with her email reply; she is a true JOY to tour with for several hours! She has the knowledge and depth to give you an insiders look at Amsterdam. We talked of arts, architecture, history, the myriad of neighborhoods - all of which she crafted into a great tour! She is one of the BEST guides we have had in the city! Thank You Marianne - it was a pleasure! Mike & Keith