Discover the historical city of Angouleme in the heart of Charente
Angoulême did not wait to become the capital of the comic strip in 1970's ito make people talk about it! It was a Gallo-Roman city, then the Valois dynasty craddle. . . a fortified town, a large papermaking centre and an important river port on the Charente River. . .
The 5 must sees in the old city of Angoulême :
* The ramparts have been protected by ramparts since the Lower Roman Empire. Rebuilt and enlarged in the Middle Ages - and then rendered useless, levelled to allow the city of Angoulême to extend beyond its historical limits.
* The Cathedral of Saint Pierre d' Angoulême and its exceptional and sculpted facade, which constitutes the centrepiece of the monument around the theme of the Last Judgement.
* The town hall: former castle of Angoulême which was transformed into a town hall from 1858 to 1869 by the famous french architect Paul Abadie Jr.
*Painted walls: a serie of frescoes that echoes the theme of the comics
* Les Halles d' Angoulême laying on the site of a former castle, now disappeared
Walking tour in the old town of Angoulême.
We will admire the panoramas from the ramparts that have been lowered. Beautiful panoramas on the river Charente which is the backbone of local history
* Walking along the ramparts to see the hermitage of the local saint
* The Cathedral of Saint Pierre considered as a masterpiece of French romanesque art with its exceptional and sculpted facade
* The town hall which includes some parts of the former medieval castle of Angoulême
* Some of the painted walls echoing to the art of comics
Meeting Point + Tour Duration
Meeting Point Options: Hotel, Address or Intersection, Monument/Building
End Point Options: Hotel, Address or Intersection, Monument/Building
Duration: 2 hours 30 min.
9 seater minivan (7/8 passengers maximum) -
Of course, I will be glad to help you with organisation if your group is above 7 members