Discover the past and present of Myanmar's main commercial city
Myanmar, formerly known as Burma, is the second biggest country in South East Asia with a population of more than 50 million calling it home. Yangon, formally known as Rangoon, is the main commercial city with a population of 6 million.
Uncover the history and stories beyond the tourist books of this city that was said to be one of the most developed ones in the eastern world during the old colonial days. Following the British rule, there are some old Victorian architectural buildings in the downtown area, still untouched from their original era.
The British made the area a port town and the capital of the country in 1886 after conquering the royal city Mandalay.
The tour begins with a pick up from your Hotel.
- Drive to downtown to start a walk through the Chinatown morning market where you will witness most of the cities restaurant owners come and shop for the day.
- Following Chinatown, continue to the city centre for a photo stop of the prominent City Hall and High Court building near Sule Pagoda area.
- Drive down the famous Pansodan Street & Strand Road where you'll pass by many colonial era buildings including the famous "Strand Hotel", which has stood the test of time and is home to many stories throughout the years.
- After lunch, visit the country's most beautiful reclining Buddha image which is 70 m long, 16 m high.
- Explore the National Museum (closed on Monday)
- Finish the day with a tour of the most spectacular Shwedagon Pagoda. The pagoda is a living Buddhists' Museum, seeing all Buddhists coming from different part of the country to pay respect to this beautiful monument.
Conclude your tour at Shwedagon Pagoda or a transfer to your hotel.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: I will meet you at your hotel lobby.
End location: Your tour will end at the Shwedagon Pagoda but I can drop you off at another agreed upon location.
Duration: 8 hours
Rental modern, air-conditioned car.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
25000 Myanmar Kyats (MMR) - Recommended for lunch, refreshments and entrance fees not included in the tour.
Regarding prices in Myanmar overall, food (street food and restaurants) and drinks are reasonably priced compared to other Asian countries such as Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore. For example, a simple lunch (without drinks) can cost USD 5 per person in local places.
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
We had a very interesting, well-paced, custom tour of Yangon from Tom. He was informative about what we were seeing and clearly welcomed questions. Since we only had a day in the city, we were grateful that he took us to see some of the sightseeing highlights but also took us to places where locals shop, eat, and mingle. The driver who worked with Tom was courteous and a careful driver. It was a thoroughly enjoyable day, and we will definitely book with Tom again when we visit Myanmar the next time