The fascinating history of the ancient civilisation of Pyu
Home to the oldest recorded civilisation in all of Myanmar, this tour will take you beyond the region of Yangon and to the ancient Pyu City located in Pyay.
Discover the fascinating history of this society, that is believed to have been in existence for more than 1000 years between 200BC and 900AD with the viewing of this UNESCO World Heritage site. Explore the excavated ancient city ruins as well as artefacts dating back to the time of the Pyu Kingdoms.
Whilst in Pyay, travel like a local on a ferry along the mighty Irrawaddy River to the Akauk Mountains. Gain unobstructed views of the 300+ Buddha images that are intricately carved into the cliff-face. Discover how these carvings came to be in existence during the mid-19th century before ascending the mountain to visit the monastery which sits atop it. You may like to share a meal with the residing monks of the monastery before heading back to Pyay for a sightseeing tour.
Take a private transfer back to Yangon where the tour will conclude.
- Depart Yangon for Pyay (approx. 175 mi/280km) with lunch enroute
- Arrive at Pyay and journey to the ancient city of Sri Ksetra, home to the Pyu Kingdom. Visit the museum, pagodas and the former Kingdom wall. Journey to the lesser visited outer regions of the Kingdom to gain a greater insight to the local villages.
- Transfer back to Pyay before checking into your hotel where you will be based for the next 2 nights.
- Dinner at leisure this evening.
- Drive through the stunning countryside to the town of Akauk Taung.
- Board a local ferry to journey along the Irrawaddy River. Gain unobstructed views of the famous 300+ Buddha images.
- Disembark the ferry and ascend the Akauk Mountain to the monastery which offers brilliant views. Whilst here, meet the abbot of the monastery
- Continue back to Pyay with a lunch stop enroute.
- This afternoon enjoy a sightseeing tour.
- Depart Pyay early this morning for Yangon with lunch en route.
- Your journey concludes upon arrival in Yangon.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: Any convenient place, requested place such as your hotel, the cruise ship port, or the airport.
End location: The tour will end at any convenient place, requested place such as your hotel, the cruise ship port, or the airport.
Duration: 3 days
Rental modern, air-conditioned car.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
150000 Myanmar Kyats (MMR) - Comment: Regarding prices in Myanmar overall, food (street food and restaurants) and drinks are reasonably priced compared to other Asian countries such as Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore. For example, a simple lunch (without drinks) can cost USD 5 per person in local places.
In Myanmar, tour guides are not allowed to drive a car and to conduct a running commentary at the same time.