Explore Jewish Culture and religion in Mumbai
This tour starts with a brief orientation on India's Jewish communities - the history of their arrival in India 2000 years ago, geographical spread, the different sects and their culture. I will provide you with illustrated handouts and notes to deepen your understanding of India's Jews. Over these 2000 years, the Jewish experience has been marked by local acceptance of Jewish people and their customs.
I will pick you up from your given location at your given time.
We will tour the following Jewish sites, and I will relay fascinating stories of Jews, and their heritage in Mumbai.
- Sassoon Docks (a fishing boat village and dock where 40% of India's fish are caught.
- Kenneseth Eliyahoo Synagogue, which has incredible blue interior and exterior filled with books for sale on Jewish Culture.
- David Sassoon Library, where we will visit the deck to get a great view of the Fort District of Mumbai.
- Shaar Harahamim or Gate of Mercy Synagogue, built in 1796, Mumbai's oldest synagogue.
- Magen David Synagogue, and the Sassoon Children's school.
We will also drive past other landmarks of Mumbai like: Victoria Terminus (an incredibly beautiful Sarascenic building), Crawford Market, Dhobi Ghat (the largest open air laundry in the world!) Marine Drive (the queens necklace), Flora Fountain, etc.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: At your given place within Mumbai, whether Hotel, Airport or Cruise Terminal etc...
End location: At your suitable destination within Mumbai, or your Hotel, Airport or Cruise Terminal etc...
Duration: 6 hours
An air conditioned Car or SUV
Estimated Local Cash Needed
1000 INR - About $15, 1000 Rupees needed for your lunch.
• I am not a driver. I can accompany you in your vehicle or I can arrange for a separate car and driver.