6 days of Hiking, Nature walk, Volunteering with a Private guide
Mount Kenya is located on the equator. Magnificent cliffs and glaciers protect the highest peaks of Nelion (5188m) and Batian (5199m).
The third highest summit - Point Lenana, (4985m) - is also glaciated but accessible to walkers.
Tarns and alpine meadows; exotic, equatorial, high-altitude vegetation; sunbirds, hyrax and soaring eagles make the walk around the peaks one of the most beautiful expeditions in the East African mountains.
On account of the high altitudes it is wise not to rush to the summit areas and the very shortest trip to Lenana should allow for 3 nights on the mountain. To combine this ascent with a circumnavigation of the main peaks requires at least an extra day.
6 DAYS MT. KENYA CLIMBING
1. pick up from airport drive to hotel in Nairobi for overnight. B&B
2. Drive from Nairobi to Chogoria Village (3hrs), visit the market have lunch in hotel before driving in a 4WD vehicle up the rough forest track to the Chogoria gate overnight at Bandas. (lodge)Meal plan:Breakfast, lunch and dinner
3. Gentle walk to the Nithi Gates, explore the Nithi Falls and Gorge. (7km 2hrs) overnight at camp. Meal plan:Breakfast, lunch and dinner.
4. Walk up the ridge overlooking Gorges Valley to Hall Tarns campsite. This is a fine location with dramatic views to the summits and Lake Michelson. (5-6hrs 9km. )Meal plan:Breakfast, lunch and dinner
5. Wake up early in the morning @3 am, 3-4 hrs. attempt point Lenana for sunrise view at the summit, then descend to shipton camp for full breakfast, proceed to Oldmosses camp for overnight. (12km 5-6 hrs)Meal plan:Breakfast, lunch and dinner
6. Descend to Sirimon gate 9 kms, drive back to Nairobi, transfer back to airport. break fast and lunch.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: Meeting point will be Jomo Kenyatta International Airport Nairobi. Here you meet your tour van ready and waiting to transfer you to your desired destination or as per the tailor made itinerary.
Booking confirmation should be made early enough in time, three months before is ideal.
End location: Our tour ends at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi, or another destination desired by the client.
Duration: 6 days
Unless changes are requested, the tour is valid for the stated times. For those attempting technical climbing the duration is longer than 6 days as stated. A 7 or 8 day period is instead recommended in order to allow for acclimatization. No times in the year should worry you as long as you are physically fit.
We use tour vans or 7-seater private vehicle for transportation,we also use shuttles if the customers are more than 10, all vehicles are four wheeled new Toyota cars with big space to view and in good condition. Insurance is as per the country insurance terms. On the rough roads we use 4x4 vans Land Rover type.Other routes:sirimon-chogoria, chogoria-chogoria, Burguret-chogoria, Narumoru-chogoria, Narumoru-Narumoru, Sirimon-Narumoru, Timau-Sirimon, Note all routes lead you to the summit,
Transport from airport and back,hotel in Nairobi.B&B,transport from Nairobi to Chogoria,(with private vehicle) transport from Chogoria to park gate, ,all park fees,guides,porters,cooks,food,cooking utensils,camping fees,tents,transport back to Nairobi to airport.
Please note that the tour price is designed and priced on 1 person. If your group is larger than 1 person please contact me for a Customized tour that will be priced and designed for your group
Estimated Local Cash Needed
250 Dollars - Money for shopping and drinks etc.exchange rate for now is 82ksh.
Basic Personal Equipment:
What to bring
Gaiters,Sleeping mats, Gloves, Sun glasses, Sleeping bag, Hats , Rain suits jacket and trouser, Warm Jacket,walk sticks,mountain boots, Scarf's, Rain Trousers and head torch.