6 days of Hiking, Nature walk, Volunteering with a Private guide
Mount Kenya is located on the equator. Magnificent cliffs and glaciers protect the highest peaks of Nelion (5188m) and Batian (5199m).
The third highest summit - Point Lenana, (4985m) - is also glaciated but accessible to walkers.
Tarns and alpine meadows: exotic, equatorial, high-altitude vegetation; sunbirds, hyrax and soaring eagles make the walk around the peaks one of the most beautiful expeditions in the East African mountains.
On account of the high altitudes, it is wise not to rush to the summit areas, and the very shortest trip to Lenana should allow for 3 nights on the mountain. To combine this ascent with a circumnavigation of the main peaks requires at least an extra day.
6-DAY MT. KENYA CLIMBING
1. Pick up from the airport, drive to the hotel in Nairobi for overnight. B&B.
2. Drive from Nairobi to Chogoria Village (3 hours), visit the market, have lunch in the hotel before driving in a 4WD vehicle, up the rough forest track to the Chogoria gate. Overnight at Bandas (lodge). Meal plan: Breakfast, lunch and dinner.
3. Gentle walk to the Nithi Gates, explore the Nithi Falls and Gorge (7km 2hrs). Overnight at camp. Meal plan: Breakfast, lunch and dinner.
4. Walk up the ridge overlooking Gorges Valley to Hall Tarns campsite. This is a fine location with dramatic views to the summits and Lake Michelson. (5-6hrs 9km). Meal plan: Breakfast, lunch and dinner.
5. Wake up early in the morning at 3 am - 3-4 hours. Attempt point Lenana for sunrise view at the summit, then descend to Shipton camp for full breakfast. Proceed to Oldmosses camp for overnight (12km 5-6 hours). Meal plan: Breakfast, lunch and dinner.
6. Descend to Sirimon gate - 9 km, drive back to Nairobi airport.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: At Jomo Kenyatta International Airport Nairobi. Tour van will be ready and wait to transfer you to your desired destination or as per the tailor-made itinerary.
Booking confirmation should be made early enough in time, three months before is ideal.
End location: Our tour ends at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi, or another destination desired by the client.
Duration: 6 days
Unless changes are requested, the tour is valid for the stated times. For those attempting technical climbing the duration is longer than 6 days as stated. A 7 or 8 day period is instead recommended in order to allow for acclimatization. No times in the year should worry you as long as you are physically fit.
Tour vans or 7-seater private vehicle for transportation. Available also shuttles if the customers are more than 10. All vehicles are four-wheeled new Toyota cars with big space to view and in good condition.
Insurance is as per the country insurance terms. On the rough roads, we use 4x4 vans Land Rover type.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
250 Dollars - For shopping and drinks, etc.
The exchange rate is about 82ksh and it can vary.