A private walking tour through the beating heart of the city: the grand part and the rough edges
This tour takes you through centuries of history, architecture and art. Around the grand central square are several buildings with a long history and iconic value. The area was part of the Aztec ceremonial center, then the core of the viceregal colony, and finally it became the political center of the modern city and nation. After the magnificent Cathedral, we visit the National Palace, ceremonial seat of the executive power, where also the origins of the Mexican Parliament and the impressive mural paintings of Diego Rivera can be found.
Passing the well preserved Moneda Street, home to interesting stories about presidents, archbishops, printers, academics, nuns, artists and mine owners, not forgetting to explore the remains of Aztec buildings surviving under our feet. Options of hidden gems in the labyrinth of colourful, noisy and lively streets where we go next, range from Oaxacan delicacies, long forgotten palaces that got a second life, a market with stunning mural art and sleepy baroque churches.
- Zócalo with Cathedral and National Palace, and other interesting buildings if time left
- Visit of several colonial palaces and, optionally, late 19th century shopping malls
- Templo Mayor and Moneda street
- Merced and Atzacoalco popular neighbourhoods
- food market with mural paintings
This itinerary can be completely adapted to your interests, including more (or less) mural paintings, food samplings, museums, folk shops, church visits, etc. The itinerary includes a 1 hour stop for food tastings or a light lunch, and one short museum stop. The itinerary can be shortened to 4 or 5 hours if wished.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: Hotel in city center or Alameda to walk together to starting point, or by taxi if hotel is elsewhere (within a radius of 3 miles).
End location: Back to cab, subway or hotel, Garibaldi square, Fine Arts Palace.
Duration: 6 hours
The trip includes the visit to one museum or exhibition of my OR your choice. If you would like to visit an extra museum, count an extra hour (option depending on guides availability).
On Mondays, ALL museums but very few are closed.
Personal pick-up at the hotel and guided tour of the downtown area and entrance fee for one museum of your choice.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
150 pesos - for light lunch and refreshment or coffee;
plus (optional) entrance fee in case you want to visit an extra museum or enjoy the panoramic view on the Torre Latino skyscraper.
- Taxi cost in case the hotel is not within walking distance of the downtown
- light lunch or dinner (I forsee several options ranging from a typical cantina to a fine Mexican restaurant).
- (optional) extra entrance fee for MUNAL museum, Torre Latino (panoramic viewpoint), José Luis Cuevas, Design museum, Franz Mayer, San Ildefonso Art Museum, temporary art exhibits.
- For larger groups, I can rent headsets to have a more pleasant tour.
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
Jonas was an ideal guide for our small group. We did a Centro Historico tour with him that hit very interesting cultural, food and architectural high points that was the perfect balance with high level overview peppered with the kind of detail you wouldn't see on your own. We recommend him for being easy going, loaded full of knowledge for his adopted home, and ability to observe our interests and bend the day towards them.