Discover the origins of amazing Amsterdam with a private guide
On this 4 hours' walkingtour I will guide you across the oldest part of our beautiful city.
We will meet at Central Station and go to the top of one of the buildings nearby to have a magnificent view of the whole citycentre and to see how Amsterdam developed near the harbour. Next we will cross to the Zeedijk, the original medieval dyke that protected 14th century Amsterdam against the waters of the Zuidersea. We will see one of the oldest houses of the city and the former sailors' district with the Old Church, in the middle of the Red Light District.
Have you ever seen a real Roman Catholic church in the attic of a seventeenth century canalhouse? After my tour this so-called secret church won't be a secret to you anymore. We will taste some of the atmosphere of China Town and see the medieval citygate at Nieuwmarkt. Ofcourse we will be walking along the canals nearly all the time, stop for a drink and be amazed by the narrow alleys. Fully satisfied you'll return to Central Station!
* Starting from the lobby of your hotel or Central Train Station, we will stroll across the oldest part of the citycenter. It includes the area around Zeedijk, Red Light District, Chinatown, and the medieval citygate and marketsquare at Nieuwmarkt. All these are part of the original 14th century cityplan.
* We will discover the secret of the social and economical growth of Amsterdam between the 14th and 17th century and at the end of this tour you will understand the relation between the social and historical aspects of this wonderful city.
* One of the highlights of this tour is our visit of the 17th century historical canalhouse with its famous hidden church at the attic.
* We will end this tour near Waterloo square, or any other place in the old citycenter that is convenient for you.
*I can always customize this tour to your personal wishes and interests, so please let me know your preferences.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: The lobby of your hotel if it is in the citycenter or any other place in the citycenter that is convenient for you.
If you would like me to meet you at the airport, I will have to add an extra hour for the transfer and cost of the trainticket.
End location: Any place in the citycenter that is convenient for you and possible within the available time.
Duration: 4 hours
The Museum Our Lord in the Attic closes at 5 pm. So for the last tour we'll have to start before 4 pm.
The best way to see Amsterdam is by walking along the canals. If you prefer to be driven, I will customize the tour for you and arrange a comfortable car and driver.
* my services as your private guide
* my specific knowledge of the city
* a useful citymap
* entrance and tour of "Our Lord in the Attic", a 17th century canalhouse hiding a Roman Catholic Church
* a refreshing drink during a short stop on a friendly terrace or in a typically Amsterdam pub.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
20 euro - * If required, public transport from the Passenger Terminal to Central Station will be 3 euros per person
* average price for lunch varies between 7 - 20 euros
- Lunch. Price for lunch depends on your personal choice and may vary between 7 - 20 euros
- Personal expenses
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
Marianne is a personable,engaging guide. We really enjoyed our time with her, walking along Amsterdam's city center. She shared much information about the medieval sections of the city which allowed us to gain a better understanding of Amsterdam's origin by the sea. We walked along the canals and through some narrow alleys, all along learning about Amsterdam's fascinating history and architecture. We enjoyed the 'secret' church in the attic of a 17th century home along the canal. We recommend Marianne.