Sheep farming, timber milling and deliverling babies.
Your trip back in time starts with a visit to the fascinating Havelock community museum, setting the scene for the rest of the tour, where we will have morning tea. The highlight of the tour is the historic Turner Cottage of Rai Valley, built in 1881 by Charles Turner, my wife's great grandfather. His daughter Jane was the informal nurse and midwife in the community. Near the cottage is the site of Brownlee's timber mill (1864 and 1915). My great grandfather Freeborn Parsons worked in the area in connection to the mill and erecting the telegraph line between Havelock and Nelson. After lunch at the Rai tearooms we stop at Pelorus Bridge Reserve where fine specimens of rimu, kahikatea and totara trees can be admired.
9. 30am: We will collect you from the Picton Information Centre. (Please catch the free cruise ship shuttle to Picton, then walk two hundred metres to the Picton Information Centre by following the blue line). Depart for Rai Valley stopping at lookouts to enjoy views of the Marlborough Sounds.
10. 30am: Visit the Havelock Community Museum to see memorabilia and photos of early pioneers, you will be guided by a local historian. Morning tea.
11. 00am: Depart for the historic Turner Cottage, Rai Valley.
11. 30am: Visit the Turner Cottage and hear stories of Will and Rose's ancestry.
12. 00pm: Lunch at the Rai Valley
1. 00pm: Depart for Picton.
1. 30am: Stop for photos at Pelorus Bridge Reserve. You can take a brief meander through mature native forest.
2. 00pm: We depart for Picton.
3. 00pm: The shuttle will return you to your ship.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: If you are in a cruise ship we will collect you from Picton Information Centre. Please catch the free cruise ship shuttle to Picton, then walk two hundred metres to the Picton Information Centre by following the blue line.
If you are a traveller within New Zealand we can meet you either outside the Blenheim or Picton information centre. We can collect you from any accommodation in Blenheim.
We will have a card with your name on it in our front window of the van.
End location: If you are with a cruise ship you will be dropped off close to the shuttle back to the ship.
If you are a tarveller within New Zealand we can return you to your pick up location.
Duration: 5 hours 30 min.
The time frame of the ships arrival and departure could impact on the tour duration.
Air conditioned Toyota Hicace van.
Morning tea, picnic lunch, a per person donation will be made to the Turner Cottage and Havelock community museum.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
50 NZ$ - You may want to buy some local craft or food on the way to our destination.
Any additional food you may want to purchase or other shopping at gift shops.
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
Will was an extraordinary guide with knowledge of the area that only someone who grew up in the area and is passionate about his work could have. He made our day together so memorable and fun.