Historic Melaka reflected in culture personified, architecture, religious houses and current lifestyle
A mere 2 hours from the capital of Malaysia, Malacca/Melaka, a UNESCO heritage city though the second smallest of the 13 states in the federation of Malaysia, has a colorful history spanning over 600 years from it's founding in the 14th century to the centuries of colonization by the Portugese, Dutch and the British. Imagine then the unique wealth of architectural, religious and cultural legacies that were assimilated and adapted to a melting pot of Asian cultures!
With that, I dare say that a good start to knowing Malaysia would be to know and visit Malacca! As echoed in the words of our first prime minister whom in Malacca first unveiled the successful negotiation of our nation's independence "within the ruins of the Malacca fort, we shall build a new nation!" And henceforth, Malacca has been frequently cited as the State where it all begins.
There is no strict itinerary of where the walk should go. All tours will be tailored to suit your interest eg. focus on history/trade/food/architecture etc. =)
***Please inquire for school educational visits***
The walk would cover the staple of any decent Malacca tour:
(approx 3-4 hours)
- A stroll along the Malacca river oft dubbed the Venice of the East'
- Dutch Square complex(why is it Dutch and not Portuguese?)
- St. Paul's church ruins (atop a hill overlooking old Malacca)
- Porta de Santiago (the only remaining structure of the Portuguese fort A Famosa that was not destroyed by the British. . . is it truly Portuguese?)
- Stand at the very street upon which the news of the country's independence was first announced!
- Old Malacca quarters (period houses significance, dying trades & a blend of a multicultural society through the lens of worship houses/religions).
Meeting Point + Tour Duration
Meeting Point Options: Rail or Bus Station, Hotel, Address or Intersection, Monument/Building
Duration: 3 hours
The best way to experience the historical core of Malacca is by foot as most of the attractions are located relatively close by.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
50 ringgit malaysia - refreshments, souvenirs.
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
Mélissa was a great guide. Very interesting tour. She knows every detail about the history of Malacca as well as of Malaysia in general. Very kind and helpful person. We highly recommend her.