A 3-hour walking tour across the centuries
Anybody that once came to La Rochelle has something to remember. Some remind the archway streets, the old harbour and its medieval towers, others the ship owners' neoclassical private mansions or the sight of the quiet and almost waveless Atlantic Ocean.
Walking in the city center is like reading a history book. This little cross carved above an ancient door tells us that La Rochelle used to be the Templar headquarters, the canon shaped gargoyles are evidences of its independence, the Huron faces sculpted on the facades recall the powerful trade link that once existed between North America and the city. The old city is packed with evidences of its past grandeur and I'll decipher them for you.
It will be my pleasure to guide you through the historical city center and to share with you my passion for its legacy.
Please note that the tour includes a stop in a bar or coffee shop whenever and wherever you fancy. I'll do my best to find a place that suits your wishes.
We will see La Rochelle's highlights such as :
- the old harbour and its towers
- the remains of the city walls and doors
- the town hall
- the historical city center and the most interesting ship owners' private mansions
- the old market
- the archways street (not all of them because their total length is about 4km)
- the bassin des chalutiers and its old boat collection
- the cathedral
- and of course the Atantic Ocean
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: I will meet you at your hotel, the tourist office or with a cab driver at your cruise ship.
End location: I will bring you back to your hotel, your cruise ship with a cab driver or the tourist office.
Duration: 3 hours
This is a walking tour.
- My services as your private tour guide
- Advice for the rest of your trip
Estimated Local Cash Needed
10 euros - For drinks or snacks
- The private driver fee from La Pallice Harbour to the city center (90 euros round trip)
- Any personal expenses or souvenirs
- We can stop by a Cognac and Pineau local producer selling directly his products in the city center
I am not a driver guide but I can arrange transportation upon request.
I am not licensed to guide inside museums due to local regulations.
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
Romain was an excellent guide which made for a wonderful day in La Rochelle! I would highly recommend him!!