A beautiful and easy hike from the mountain village of Takao to Arashiyama
Immerse yourself in nature in this easy hike from the charming village of Takao and its beautiful mountain temples to the world famous Arashiyama area.
We'll leave central Kyoto by public bus and reach Takao where we'll visit the temples of Saimyoji and Jingoji, particularly impressive during the autumn leaf season. We will then start an easy hike following downstream the beautiful Kiyotaki river valley. We'll go through the incredibly quaint village of Saga-Toorimoto lined by traditional townhouses and home of the unique Otagi Nenbutsuji temple whose grounds are covered in hundreds of stone statues. We'll continue to Arashiyama where we will visit Daikakuji temple with its beautiful pond and a 'secret' bamboo grove.
Time permitting you'll have the option of visiting one more Arashiyama's impressive temples and gardens some before finishing our walk just across the Togetsukyo bridge where we will catch the train for a short ride back to central Kyoto.
- Visit Takao village and two of its charming temples
- Hike following downstream the stunning Kiyotaki river
- Visit the beautifully preserved village of Saga-Toorimoto and the unique Otagi Nenbutsuji temple (and/or Adashino-Nenbutsuji temple)
- Visit the Daikakuji temple in Arashiyama
- Check the river views from the famous Togetsukyo bridge
- Head back to central Kyoto by train
The itinerary in Arashiyama can be adjusted to accommodate travellers' needs and requests
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: JR Kyoto station or Hankyu Karasuma station, depending on the location of your hotel. Meeting at your hotel is also possible.
End location: JR Kyoto station or Hankyu Karasuma (or Kawaramachi station).
Duration: 7 hours
Mostly walking but we will take a bus to Takao and will come back to central Kyoto by train at the end of the tour.
- My time and service as your private guide.
- My lunch, transportation and entrance fees.
- Personal itinerary consultation service and tailor-maid tour
Estimated Local Cash Needed
3500 yen - Admission to temples (1000-2000yen)
*Please notice that religious sites and small restaurants do not accept credit cards but cash payments only.
- Admission fees to the temples.
- Refreshments and snacks during the hike.
It's strongly advised for travelers to have their own insurance.
I do not have a commercial driver's licence so I can only drive during tours if the car is rented and costs shared.