Museums / Culture, Local Experience, First Time Visitor
Kid Friendly: Yes.
Easily manageable if you can tolerate two staircases of 20-25 steps each.
Toilets for handicapped available.
Maximum travelers: 4
Greek (fluent), English (fluent)
Complete Minoan Civilization
A detailed archaeological tour in Knossos, the capital city of the "Minoans" as they were named by Arthur Evans.
The Heraklion Archaeological Museum is a Special Regional Service of the Ministry of Culture and its purpose is to acquire, safeguard, conserve, record, study, publish, display and promote Cretan artefacts from the Prehistoric to the Late Roman periods. The museum organizes temporary exhibitions in Greece and abroad, collaborates with scientific and scholarly institutions, and houses a variety of cultural events.
A day dedicated to the site that gives you a well-rounded picture of the Minoan culture.
Recommended for travellers interested in history and archaeology.
- Meet at Knossos site entrance or elsewhere agreed in the city centre
- An hour and thirty-minute tour in situ, see the Queen's throne room, magazines, infra-structure, lustral basins, theatre area, and perhaps the "labyrinth"
- Get to the Archaeological Museum of Heraklion
- An hour and thirty-minute tour around one of the most prestigious museums in the world. See Minoan trademarks, such as double axes, figurines, clay idols, horns of consecration, seals, jewellery, Camaraic style pottery, scrips on clay tablets, and many more.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: Knossos entrance by the Archaeological Museum.
End location: The Archaeological Museum of Heraklion (downtown, very central meeting point).
Duration: 4 hours
Archeological tour in Knossos and Archaeological Museum of Heraklion tour by a certified tour guide.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
30 euros - Tickets per person:
- Water bottles, refreshments, coffee, snacks.
- Bus ticket or taxi from Knossos to the Museum.
- Knossos and Museum entrance fee, which costs 16 euros per person if bought as a combined ticket. Credit cards are accepted.
** If the tickets are bought separately, they cost will be 15 and 10 euros respectively. It sums to 25 euros.
- Transportation to get from Knossos to the museum and back.
I do not drive but I can assist in the arrangement of transport of your preference. eg. rental cars, vans, local buses, taxis, limo service, etc.