An exploration of local Jewish culture
Friday evening in the Jewish quarter:
Local Jewish men and women wearing black, walk home slowly with their children. The Friday service has rekindled their faith and prepared them for a warming familial Sabbath.
The young man pacing on the corner checks his watch for the third time (She's late!). Others are drinking beer and swapping adventures in the pubs.
On the street, vibrant young women with freshly washed hair are laughing and taking a quick last look at their make-up.
Elisabeth town stirs, ready for Friday night.
Together we explore the so-called Jewish quarter of Budapest on foot. This includes:
- Visit at 2 or 3 Synagogues. We will talk about the History of Hungarian Jews, and if you are interested, you can learn more about local Jewish culture, religion and everyday life.
- I will show you Best Kosher bars and pastry shops.
- The area has a unique atmosphere with hidden symbols on the facades, painted firewalls and 'Ruin bars' that were opened in derelict buildings and loan gardens that were once owned by proud and affluent industrial families. Now they are very colourful and humorous.
- Walking to the moving 'Shoes Memorial' at the riverside, we will talk about the terrible events of World War Two and the Holocaust in Budapest. If you are familiar with the Jewish quarter, we can see lesser known sights related to Jewish heritage.
- We can visit the Holocaust Memorial Museum, the old Jewish cemetery, or the Synagogue on the Old Buda side.
* Please just let me know your preference prior the tour.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: We can meet at your hotel or address you choose in the inner city.
End location: Your hotel, your cruise ship port, or address you choose in the inner city.
Duration: 4 hours
It can be adjusted based on the weather conditions or if the Synagogue is closed, or if you decide not to visit the Synagogues.
Walking tour with use of public transport, if needed. It depends on the distance from the Jewish quarter to our meeting point.
- Guidance inside and outside the Synagogues
- Brochures, map.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
7850 HUF - - Entrance fee to the Orthodox Synagogue per adults: 1000 HUF
- Entrance fee to the Great Synagogue (Dohány Street Synagogue) per adults: 4000 HUF
- The price of a drink and a sandwich, roughly 1200 HUF
- Public transportation (in case if we need that): 1650 (price for a daily travel card per person). We should walk, but in case of bad weather conditions or if you stay very far from the Jewish quarter, we may take a bus.
- Entrance fees
- Ticket for public transport (if we take it)
- Personal expenses