A peep into a flat dweller's life
On this tour, experience the unique culture of the Straits Chinese as well as a very unique heritage site which is now a favourite hunt for Singaporeans, with interesting eateries, offering cuisines from local foods to cupcakes, artisan coffee etc.
The highlight of this tour is to explore the first government housing estate built entirely on a piece of reclaimed land in the 1970s. These government apartments, which Singaporeans fondly call HDB flats ranges in size from 33 square metres to 145 square metres.
They house Singaporeans from all walks of life and we will be visiting one of them that belongs to Mr Kuan Eng.
Mr Kuan Eng also known as Kuan to his friends, was a creative director in advertising for 20 years before making a career switch to social work. As a third-generation Singaporean, he grew up in the 1970s. Let him explain to you life in Singapore the, his cultures and we shall try some of the village games Singaporeans used to play.
**Please book this tour at least 7 working days in advance.
9. 00 am - Pick Up
9. 30 am - Geylang Serai. We will visit a local wet market and sample some Malay foods and snacks.
10. 30 am - Katong. This is an area made famous by the Straits Chinese with beautiful shophouses built in the early days of Singapore. Try the famous Laksa, cakes etc.
11. 30 am - Marine Parade Town. (Highlight) Visit a housing estate built in 1970s entirely on a piece of reclaimed land. Experience the life of a Singaporean with a visit to Mr Kuan's 3-room government flat and let him relate his life in 1970s. Play a few village games, understand some dialects of the Chinese and bring home souvenirs in real Singaporean style. We will have local brewed coffee in a local coffeeshop!
1. 00 pm - Tiong Bahru neighbourhood. A neighbourhood built in 1920s with walk-up apartments built with themes of cruise liners and airplanes. A visit to the hawker centre is a must, to try some nice local cuisines such as Hainanese Chicken Rice, Kueys, Fried Prawn Noodles.
2. 30 pm - Back to Pick-Up Point
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: I can meet you at any location you specify.
End location: I will drop you off at the pick-up location
Duration: 5 hours 30 min.
The visit to the flat is subjected to the availability of the owner, Mr Kuan.
Transportation for up to 4 adults will be provided.
For more than 4 adults, a bigger vehicle can be arranged at a separate cost.
Foods and Drinks for tasting.
Also, the visit to Mr Kuan's flat
Estimated Local Cash Needed
20 Singapore - You might wish to bring some Singapore dollars with you in case you wish to buy some extra foods or souvenirs.
There are no additional items which need to be purchased.
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
Sensational day with our ToursByLocals guide!! Learned so much and have a unique understanding of beautiful Singapore. Highly recommend for a personalized experience!