I'm an expert in Hawaii's natural history, flora, and fauna, and I also know quite a bit about local and native Hawaiian culture and history. I can speak Hawaiian at a basic conversational level in case you have questions about the language or the names of places. In addition to guiding, I've been a public radio show host, writer, language teacher, and ocean rescue lifeguard. I can give you various perspectives on this island, depending on what most interests you.
Originally from California, I got my BA in Portuguese and Spanish at UCSB and then did graduate coursework in tropical ecology at University of Hawaii. As a tour guide, I'm professional, friendly, and accommodating. Although not new to guiding, I'm brand new to ToursByLocals, so I'm offering my tours at a low price to generate traffic and to get some initial reviews. Take advantage!
A Recent Review of this guide
Eric was a great guide and very knowledgeable. He also gave us a great tip for when we walked Diamond Head the next day. Very easy going and made sure we had a great morning.
- 6 years experience as a nature tour guide with 2 local companies
- Expert in Hawaii's natural history, ecology, flora, and fauna
- Speaker of Hawaiian language
- Former ocean rescue lifeguard in Del Mar, California
- Bachelor's degree in Portuguese and Spanish, UC Santa Barbara
- Graduate work in Tropical Plant Sciences and Land Use Planning, University of Hawaii
- On-air radio host of two weekly public radio shows 1999 to 2009
Regarding Pearl Harbor: No guides are allowed to lead tours within the visitor center. I may be able to accompany you as "just a friend". Otherwise I will wait for you outside.