I'm an expert in Hawaii's natural history, flora, and fauna, and I also know a bit about local and Hawaiian culture and history. In addition to guiding, I've been a public radio show host, writer, language teacher, care-giver (for my disabled father) and ocean rescue lifeguard. I can give you various perspectives on this island, depending on what most interests you.
Originally from California, I got my BA in Portuguese and Spanish at UCSB and then did graduate coursework in tropical ecology at University of Hawaii. I've also lived and worked in Brazil, Jamaica, and Switzerland. As a tour guide, I'm professional, friendly, and accommodating. Although not new to guiding, I'm new to ToursByLocals, so I'm offering my tours at a low price to generate traffic and to get some initial reviews. Take advantage!
A Recent Review of this guide
Eric is the bomb! So charming, polite, knowledgeable, informative. Had a top shelf 6 hour tour of Oahu where he narrated every stop and site. Recommend him absolutely!
- 6 years experience as a nature tour guide on Oahu
- Expert in Hawaii's natural history, ecology, flora, and fauna
- Speaker of Hawaiian language
- Former ocean rescue lifeguard in Del Mar, California
- Bachelor's degree in Portuguese and Spanish, UC Santa Barbara
- Graduate work in Tropical Plant Sciences and Land Use Planning, University of Hawaii
- On-air radio host of two weekly public radio shows 1999 to 2009
Pearl Harbor Visitor Center: bags and purses must be left in the car or at the bag check ($5 fee). Cell phones, tablets, wallets, and cameras are OK. I can only accompany you inside as a "friend".