A day trip from Roman times through the Middle Ages to Baroque
If you have an extra day and you are interested in something spectacular near Budapest, take a closer look at one of most eye-catching corners of Hungary and be part of a real time travel through 1800 years.
Visit Budapest's Roman ancestor, Aquincum first - a military camp and civilian town established on the Danube River in the 2nd century A. D. Take a walk among the ruins of ancient homes, shops, temples, Roman baths and the aqueduct.
Then continue your journey to Medieval Times. The 13th century Castle of Visegrád, a former royal seat of the kings of Hungary overlooks the River Danube, and provides excellent views onto the lush green forests of the Danube Bend.
Have lunch in a riverside restaurant on the Danube just like a king (queen).
Finally discover Szentendre, an atmospheric 18th century Baroque small town established by mostly Serbian and Dalmatian merchants. See the incomparable Szamos Museum of Marzipan Exhibits and take a last break before returning to vibrating 21st century Budapest.
- Start from your hotel/agreed pick-up point.
- 20 min drive to Roman Aquincum.
- 90 min visit at Aquincum Archeological Site. Walkaround.
- 30 min drive to Visegrád Castle.
- 70 min visit in Visegrád Royal Castle - photo stop on the viewing terraces opening on the Danube Bend.
- 10 min drive to lunch place.
- 75 min lunchtime.
- 20 min drive to Szentendre Town.
- 120 min Szentendre walk, visit to Marzipan Museum, free time for shopping.
- 45 min drive back to Budapest.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: I can meet you at your central Budapest hotel, your cruise ship port, or at any centrally located address/intersection upon your request.
End location: We will end this tour at your hotel, at your cruise ship terminal, or at any other central location in Budapest upon your request.
Duration: 8 hours
Bad weather conditions and heavy traffic may affect the duration and the timing of the tour.
Private vehicle. Car/minivan types used: Mercedes E Class, Mercedes Viano, Mercedes Sprinter. Recently purchased, modern, air-conditioned vehicles, with professional driver.
This tour implies some walking on uneven surface (mostly cobblestones) and steps, too, therefore comfortable shoes/sandals are recommended for all travellers. Clients are also exposed to direct sunlight during summer, protection (sunglasses, hat, etc) is required.
- My services as your Private Tour Guide
- Private A/C-d car/minivan with driver
- Entrances to Aquincum Roman Archeological Site
- Entrances to Visegrád Medieval Royal Castle
- Entrances to Szamos Marzipan Museum, Szentendre
- Lunch in a riverside restaurant by the Danube
Please let me know if you have special needs or concerns about food (e.g. vegetarian, vegan, food allergies, etc.) so that I can arrange proper food for you in advance.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
15000 Hungarian forints - 1) For drinks that are not included in the lunch. 2) For purchase of items of a personal nature, souvenirs, etc.
N.B. Credit cards are accepted for payment, too.
- Drinks are payable extra during lunch.
- You are also responsible for the purchase of items of a personal nature, souvenirs, or items that are incidental to the tour.
My tours are either light/moderate walking tours or very comfortable tours by private car/minivan. In the latter case, since I am not a driver, clean & comfortable A/C-d private cars/minivans with driver are organized for the tour.