2-hour walking tour of Sydney's finest heritage and dining precincts
The district containing Darlinghurst and East Sydney is one of the oldest in Australia, dating back to the early nineteenth century.
It was settled just a few years after the landing by the British First Fleet at Sydney Cove. It contains magnificent examples of every kind of Australian architecture, including the magnificent convict build sandstone gaol and court house, together with scores of restaurants, bars and cafes nestled along streets lined by historic houses and beautiful apartment buildings.
In the nineteen twenties colourful characters fought here with razors and guns, leading to the nick-name 'Razorhurst'. Fascinating tales will be told of the rise of crime gangs in the last century on these mean streets of Sydney .
You will absorb information about architecture, local history, crime stories and food & wine from this unique private tour.
• We'll begin in Darlinghurst and explore the convict built nineteenth century gaol (open Monday to Friday) and the court house where public hangings occurred in the nineteenth centure. And we'll view some of the magnificent original buildings of St Vincent's Hospital.
• Then we'll walk deeper into Darlinghurst, along streets lined with historic houses and apartment buildings, past scores of the best cafes and restaurants in Sydney (and we can stop for a coffee if you wish).
• Then down into East Sydney, AKA 'Razorhurst', which was the notorious 'underbelly' of Sydney life from the nineteen twenties to the seventies.
• Along the way I'll tell you stories of the fascinating social, artistic and crime history of this area and about many of the magnificent buildings and notorious places you'll see.
• This area is part of the movie making capital of Australia, so we will pass by the historic mansion that housed some of Baz Luhrmann's production facilities when he produced 'The Great Gatsby' in Sydney.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: I can meet you at Circular Quay cruise ship terminal or your inner city hotel if within 1 kilometre radius of the city centre and escort you to our tour starting point. Pick up time will be 20-30 minutes prior to tour starting time. Or you can taxi to Holiday Inn Potts Point and we can begin our walk from there at the agreed start time.
End location: You can return to your hotel or cruise ship or other agreed location by taxi, train or on foot. You'll arrive approximately 20-30 minutes after the completion of our tour. If you wish to visit other places after our tour, I'll advise you or escort you there as you wish. If you take the morning tour, there are many wonderful places to have lunch or coffee, or to shop after our tour. Or if you take the afternoon tour, there are lovely places to have afternoon tea or drinks, or shop after this tour. And there are many excellent places to dine after the evening tour. We can work this out in advance or on the day.
Duration: 2 hours
Tour will only be cancelled if weather is bad.
This is primarily a walking tour. Taxis may be used if needed.
*** SPECIAL NOTE ***
I can accommodate various groups of travelers. If you have specific transportation requirements, pricing inquiries or if your preferred start time isn't listed, please send me an email by clicking on the 'ASK A QUESTION' button that's listed on my tour page and profile. I will reply to you promptly. Thanks!
Estimated Local Cash Needed
30 A$ - Cash for a taxi for up to 4 people from your hotel or wharf location to the starting point of this tour. Taxis can usually be put on credit cards, but some don't take cards. There are also buses and trains available, which cost less.
No special restrictions
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
I very much enjoyed the interesting comments and insights both historical and day to day information that Stephen shared with me. The walk was really interesting, and I actually spent the rest of the afternoon in Darlinghurst and Kings Cross area.
Maiwenn van Santbrink