See it all: the 17th century canals, Flowermarket, Dam square and Royal Palace, Red Light District
Join me on a walk across the wonderful citycentre and enjoy the highlights in a very efficient way! Starting near Central Station we'll first cross the Red Light District in the oldest part of town, see the Royal Palace at Dam Square and find our way to the floating Flowermarket. We'll admire the architecture of the 17th century canalhouses while I tell you about the history and social background of Amsterdam. You'll be amazed by the peaceful medieval courtyard called Begijnhof and by the 17th century group portraits that can be seen out on the public road near the Amsterdam Museum. We will walk on to the Amstel River and to complete this walkingtour you'll board a comfortable hop on hop off canalboat that will take you on a tour of the canals. While relaxing after your citywalk you will enjoy the view of the 17th century Unesco heritage from a different perspective! The hop on hop off boat has a stop at the Anne Frank House, but entrance tickets need to be reserved by yourself.
* We start in the lobby of your hotel or at Central Station and walk across the oldest parts of town, the Red Light District and Chinatown to the Royal Palace at Dam Square
* We'll stroll on to Begijnhof, the peaceful and quiet medieval courtyard. We'll continue to the floating flowermarket
* Halfway our walk, in the area near the flowermarket, we'll stop for a drink and you can taste and buy some cheese.
* We'll walk on to the river Amstel and admire the view of the 17th century drawbridge and the houseboats that are part of the scenery of the Amsterdam canals
* The guided tour ends when you board the hop on hop off canalboat for a wonderful and relaxing tour that will show you the 17th century canalhouses from a completely different point of view.
This canalboat also has a stop at the Anne Frank House, but entrance tickets are not included.
*I can always customize this tour to your personal wishes and interests, so please let me know your preferences.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: The lobby of your hotel if it is in the citycenter or any other place in the citycenter that is convenient for you
If you would like me to meet you at the airport, I will have to add an extra hour for the transfer and cost of the trainticket.
End location: One of the stops of the hop on hop off canalboat in the city center or any other place in the center that is convenient for you and possible within the available time.
Duration: 4 hours
Your guided walk will last four hours. After that, your canalboat trip takes about 1,5 hours, but as this is a hop on hop off tour the duration will depend on your personal itinerary.
This is mainly a walking tour, as this is the best way to enjoy Amsterdam. The last part of the tour is by comfortable canal boat. If your cruise ship docks at the Passengers Terminal in the city center, you can use public transport to get to the starting point near Central Station.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
23 euro - * If required, public transport from the Passenger Terminal to Central Station will be 3 euros per person
* average price for lunch varies between 8 - 20 euros
I am a safe driver, but if you want to book a tour outside Amsterdam without using public transport, I rent a professional driver and mini van, since I am convinced that driving and guiding are different jobs!
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
Marianne was a wonderful guide. Had a fantastic day in Amsterdam! She was very knowledgeable, friendly, easy to talk to. She made sure our 4 hour walking tour was suited to our tastes. We met outside of the Ann Frank House, showed us the beautiful city. She recommended a couple of places to visit if we had time after our tour, one of them being "Our "Lord in the Attic", highly recommend. My husband and I were very happy with Marianne. Deserves a 5 star rating! Thank you to Tours By Locals and to Marianne.