A Unesco World Heritage Site with nature, sea, culture and history
Suomenlinna Sea fortress is Finland's most visited tourist and cultural attraction. It has seen the eras of Swedish, Russian and Finnish rulers. It is part of Unesco World heritage list as an outstanding example of military architecture from 18th century. It has been a garrison for 3 countries, Sweden, Russia and Finland.
Today it is a part of Helsinki with 850 inhabitants, a cultural center and a recreational area for all the visitors. All components of the bastion fortress is shown and well preserved. The contrast in history from balls and fine dining to the tragical prison camps in our civil war, those stories are still worth hearing.
* Tour can be added with Helsinki Highlights, please inquire for a customized tour
Departure with ferry or water bus from South harbour.
- Kings Gate, former parade entrance to the fortress
- Kustaanmiekka sandbanks and artillery
- Beach and Pipers park
- Courtyard with Ehrensvärd the constructors tomb
- Dry dock, world's oldest still functional dry dock
- Suomenlinna Church
- Bastion Fortress system
- The presence in Suomenlinna
- Visit in Suomenlinna history museum (optional)
- Visit in Ehrensvärd museum (optional)
- Coffee break (or a beer in the local brewery)
- Audiovisual movie from the different eras (optional)
** Please inquire for customizing Helsinki Highlights to this tour.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: I will meet you at Market Square where the ferry departs or at your hotel or any other area which is suitable for you.
End location: At Market Square if you want to stay in the center for lunch or shopping or any other area which is suitable for you.
Duration: 3 hours
Ferries operates every 15 minute on high season.
Ferry or water bus drive and walking.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
7 euros - Coffee break or a beer in the local brewery. Coffee is 3-4 euros, beer 6-7 euros.
There is no ATM in the island but all credit cards are excepted.