Half Day Private Walking Tour with Local Vera C.
The tour includes the most famous spots that are also covered in my book "Fascinating Heidelberg":
- The famous Old Bridge
- The Townhall and the baroque Old Town with its pedestrian zone (longest in Europe)
- the only stone house, that survived the invasion of the French troops in the 17th, the "Hotel and Restaurant Ritter"
- The Church of the Holy Spirit, whose galleries used to house the precious Palatine Library
- Germany's oldest university, historic university prison from 1778, the beautiful university library and the university church St. Peter
- the only remaining medieval tower that served as a prison (Witches' Tower)
- the plague reminding of the visit of Martin Luther 1518
- the birthplace of the first German president Friedrich Ebert
- the stunning Jesuit Church
- Heidelberg Castle and Castle gardens
Needless to say, the tour will include all of the classic sights and romantic views offered by the Old City and Castle, spiced with the sort of stories that will make this a memorable excursion.
We start at the Old Bridge with a great view of the Castle. Then we walk into Old Town and on the pedestrian zone and through lovely alleys to the University square with the major university buildings. After that, we tour through the Jesuit Quarter, back to the baroque Market Square. On the way, we visit three major churches and the most beautiful and oldest house in town, the famous "Ritter".
After a short break (maybe a typical regional lunch?), we either climb up the 300 stairs with interesting views into the gardens of the historic houses or we simply take the funicular up to the Castle. There I will show you the Castle gardens and the Castle courtyard with all the major buildings and towers, the biggest wine barrel in the world (over 220. 000 litres) and the interesting German pharmacy museum. And, always we have time to take photos or drink a delicious Heidelberg coffee or a regional wine. . . . . How does this sound? If you have special fields of interest, just tell me and I will also cover that too.
Meeting Point + Tour Duration
Meeting Point Options: Hotel, Monument/Building, Suggested by Guide: Specified by Guide - Old Bridge at the Bridge Gate
End Point Options: Hotel, Monument/Building
Duration: 4 hours
This is a walking tour. We can take the furnicular up to the Castle. The price fot the furnicular is already included in the Castle entry fee.
- Guiding Services
- Admission Tickets
Estimated Local Cash Needed
45 Euro - If you want to eat or drink something
- Personal Expenses
- Food, Drinks, Snacks
I do not have any restrictions.