A gourmet day-tour to producers of pecorino cheese & extra virgin olive oil in the area of Volterra
A day for lovers of food, wine and spectacular scenery. You will visit some of the best food producers in the area of Volterra, in a spectacular countryside, tasting some delicious specialities. We start the day with the visit to an oil mill and an introduction to the world of extra virgin olive oil. You will meet a member of the official local panel of olive oil testers and learn the techniques of sampling. The tour countinues with the visit to an organic cheese farm in very scenic country setting. Here you learn the pecorino making process, see the milking facility and sit at a restaurant for a unique cheese-based lunch. After lunch we will have a little walk in Volterra, an ancient Etruscan town, enjoying its lovely panoramas. Forget about diets for a day!
My driver and I collect you at your accommodation in Florence
Visit to an authentic oil mill. I give you a detailed introduction to the world of extra virgin olive oil while visiting the place and finally we sit and taste olive oils with offical samplig methods
Visit to an organic cheese farm. We start with an introduction to the property and the family running it. Then we visit the dairy and we discover all the phases of pecorino making. After this we sit at the restaurant of the farm and taste a lot of cheese based specialities along with their prosciutto and salamis.
Right after lunch we have a walk to the sheep shed and we see how the milking facility works and how the sheep live
We drive to Volterra (only 15 minutes drive) and we have a short walk in town
We drive back to Florence where we arrive at around 18:00
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: We will meet at your accommodation in Florence. My driver can access any restricted area in town. Rates refer to a pick up and drop off in Florence. If you are accommodated in other areas of Tuscany please inform me and I will give you a detailled quotation.
End location: At the end of the tour we will drive you back to your location.
Duration: 9 hours 30 min.
A full driving service is included in the offer. My driver and I collect you at your location in Florence on luxury airconditioned vans for up to 7 passengers. My driver is licensed to access any restricted area in Florence.
All rates refer to a pick up and drop off in Florence. If you are accommodated in other locations in Tuscany or if you prefer to self-drive, please inform me and I will provide a detailled quotation.
- An English speaking guide for the whole tour
- A guided visit of an oil mill with introduction to extra virgin olive oil
- A sampling of extra virgin olive oil with explanation of sampling techniques, along with some local delicacies
- A guided visi to an organic cheese farm with visit to a dairy
- A full buffet lunch with a lot of local specialties based on cheese and salamis
- A visit to the sheep shed and the milking facility
- A return driving service for the whole tour by luxury airconditioned vans, capable to carry up to 7 passengers. The rates refer to a pick up and drop off in Florence downtown. For other locations in Tuscany please ask me and I will provide a detailled quotation
Estimated Local Cash Needed
50 EUR - (Approx) At the visited places you can buy local food items as souvenir.
Credit cards are accepted or cash. I suggest a sum between 50 and 100 euro. This is optional.
Souvenirs at the oil mill and at the cheese farm
• My license as a guide is not valid for art towns and I will not be able to guide inside of the historical monuments and museums.
• I am not a driver. I can accompany you in your vehicle or I can arrange for a separate car and driver.
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
We spent an absolutely lovely day in Tuscany with our guide Massimo and our driver Andrea. Massimo shared information on everything from the tower of Pisa to the conquest of the Etruscans. Our visit to the olive processing facility and the olive oil tasting was enlightening. We will not look at olive oil the same way again. Then it was on to the sheep farm for a lesson in cheese making. After a lovely lunch of locally prepared meats and cheeses we then toured a medieval village.