A gourmet day-tour to producers of pecorino cheese & extra virgin olive oil in the area of Volterra
A day for lovers of food, wine and spectacular scenery.
You will visit some of the best food producers in the area of Volterra, in a spectacular countryside, tasting some delicious specialities. We start the day with the visit to an oil mill and an introduction to the world of extra virgin olive oil.
You will meet a member of the official local panel of olive oil testers and learn the techniques of sampling. The tour countinues with the visit to an organic cheese farm in very scenic country setting. Here you learn the pecorino making process, see the milking facility and sit at a restaurant for a unique cheese-based lunch. After lunch we will have a little walk in Volterra, an ancient Etruscan town, enjoying its lovely panoramas. Forget about diets for a day!
My driver and I collect you at your cruise ship in Livorno
Visit to an authentic oil mill. I give you a detailed introduction to the world of extra virgin olive oil while visiting the place and finally we sit and taste olive oils with offical samplig methods
Visit to an organic cheese farm. We start with an introduction to the property and the family running it. Then we visit the dairy and we discover all the phases of pecorino making. After this we sit at the restaurant of the farm and taste a lot of cheese based specialities along with their prosciutto and salamis.
Right after lunch we have a walk to the sheep shed and we see how the milking facility works and how the sheep live
We drive to Volterra (only 15 minutes drive) and we have a short walk in town
We drive back to Livorno where we arrive at around 18:00. The time schedule of this tour will be set according to the departure time of your ship for you to be back early enough.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: We will meet on the quay of Livorno Harbor where your cruise ship is docked. My driver can access the harbor of Livorno and get close to your ship. Rates refer to a pick up and drop off in Livorno harbor. If your ship docks in other harbors of Tuscany please inform me as different timings and rates apply.
End location: At the end of the tour we will drive you back to your ship in proper time before departure.
Duration: 9 hours 30 min.
A full driving service is included in the offer. My driver and I collect you at your ship in Livorno on luxury airconditioned vans for up to 8 passengers. My driver is licensed to access the harbor of Livorno.
All rates refer to a pick up and drop off in Livorno harbor. If your ship docks at other harbors in Tuscany, please inform me and I will provide a detailled quotation.
- An English speaking guide for the whole tour - German, Russian or Spanish possible too with no surcharge
- A guided visit of an oil mill with introduction to extra virgin olive oil
- A sampling of extra virgin olive oil with explanation of sampling techniques, along with some local delicacies
- A guided visit to an organic cheese farm with visit to a dairy
- A full buffet lunch with a lot of local specialties based on cheese and salamis
- A visit to the sheep shed and the milking facility
- A return driving service for the whole tour by luxury airconditioned vans, capable to carry up to 7 passengers. The rates refer to a pick up and drop off in Livorno harbor. For other harbors in Tuscany please ask me and I will provide a detailled quotation
Estimated Local Cash Needed
50 EUR - (approx) At the visited places you can buy local food items as souvenir.
Credit cards are accepted or cash.
I suggest a sum between 50 and 100 euro.
This is optional, of course.
Souvenirs at the oil mill and at the cheese farm
• My license as a guide is not valid for art towns and I will not be able to guide inside of the historical monuments and museums.
• I am not a driver. I can accompany you in your vehicle or I can arrange for a separate car and driver.