The geniuses of the Italian renaissance - Especially for you
The Uffizi Gallery houses the most important collection of early and high Renaissance paintings in Italy. There are over 2, 000 works on display and so it makes sense to choose either a classic "highlights tour" touching on the world-famous masterpieces of artists such as Botticelli, Leonardo, Raffaello, Michelangelo and Caravaggio, or a longer more specialised chronological analysis starting with Giotto in the early 1300's and culminating with Caravaggio at the beginning of the 17th century.
Other thematic visits can be organized for specific interests, for example, a special look at the paintings and frescoes commissioned by the Medici grand dukes, and for families keen on keeping their kids happy, fun and informative tours, pointing out mythological characters, animals and monsters, and of course any other tour based on any particular interests you may have.
Meeting point at Michelangelo's sculpture of David in front of Palazzo Vecchio.
A short introduction to the Uffizi, its history and decor
1. A brief overview of the early schools from Byzantine, medieval and late gothic through to the beginnings of the Renaissance.
2. Early Renaissance artists in Florence and their development of perspective, volume and psychological depth
3. Botticelli, his ethereal genius and mythological themes
4. The Tribune, ' Wunderkammer' of Granduke Francesco 1 and the original 1583 nucleus of the art gallery
5. Michelangelo and his only surviving easel painting The Tondo Doni 1503
6. The panoramic roof terrace and cafe
7. Leonardo da Vinci, the epitome of the renaissance man. His early works - Baptism of Christ, The Annunciation and the newly restored Adoration of the Magi
8. The Venetian master Tiziano and his femme fatal the Venus of Urbino
9. Bronzino, court painter of Cosimo 1and his Medici portraits
10. Caravaggio with the revolutionary realism of Bacco and the Medusa.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: I will meet you at your hotel or B&B if it is in the centre of Florence or in front of the the copy of the Statue of David by Michelangelo in front of Palazzo Vecchio in Piazza Signoria, Florence.
End location: I can re accompany you to your hotel
Duration: 3 hours
The tour could last longer in the high season due to high numbers of visitors to the gallery. In the summer months it's possible to enjoy a peaceful evening visit every Tuesday evening until 10 pm , a great way to avoid the crowds and the heat.
A 3 hour Private tour of the Uffizi gallery with me as your fully licensed guide.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
35 euro - €20 - adult full price entrance ticket (1 March- 31 October) 2018
€12 - adult full price entrance ticket (1 November - 28 February 2019)
+ €2 per headset (obligatory for groups of over 6 people)
reduced tickets 50% discount for 13-17 years old
under 13 free of charge.
Refreshments in the museum cafe
- Entrance tickets and pre booking
- Headsets for groups of over 6 people.
I am not a driver. I can accompany you in your vehicle or I can arrange for a separate car and driver.
I am licensed to guide in English and Italian