Enjoy a tour of Where the Wild Things Are on the Otago Peninsula mixed with city sights.
Join our locally owned boat for a wild life extravaganza around Tairoa Heads. You will enjoy a 2 hour cruise where you will see the worlds only mainland nesting place of the Northern Royal Albatross. NZ Fur Seals live on the rocks below the Albatross and you will see them fighting, playing and resting on the rocks. The NZ Sea Lions are often found on our sandy shores so keep your eyes peeled. You will also see rare petrals as well as dolphins, penguins and other marine mammals on your cruise and possibly even a dolphin or whale.
After you arrival back into Portobello Bex will guide you over the Otago Peninsula, taking the high road for outstanding photo opportunities before descending into Dunedin City. Visit the Worlds Steepest Street - walk it or simply a photo the choice is up to you, Signal Hill for a view over the entire city, Dunedin Railway Station - one of the most photographed in NZ, Otago Boys High School - build in 1885 and other Dunedin City Sights.
- Pick up from agreed location
- Drive to Wildlife cruise start point.
- Begin Cruise, spending about 45 minutes at Tairoa Head
- View Northern Royal Albatross on nests and usually flying over the headland and at sea.
- Other wildlife that may be seen on tour include: Fur seals, Dolphins, seabirds like shearwaters and petrels, terns, swans, royal spoonbills and other wading birds, shags and cormorants, sea lions, penguins, including-blue, and occasionally Yellow Eyed. Whales occasionally.
- historic Quarantine Island and a shipwreck graveyard.
- Port Chalmers and the ships that come and go from here including tug boats and dredgers,
- Careys Bay, we pop in to look at the boats.
- The Taiaroa Head Lighthouse.
- Gun and search light emplacements
- Historic pilots houses.
- Finish Cruise
- Baldwin Street 'The World's Steepest Street'
- Signal Hill Lookout
- Dunedin Railway Station
- Return to drop off location
Meeting Point + Tour Duration
Meeting Point Options: Rail or Bus Station, Cruise Ship Port, Hotel, Address or Intersection, Monument/Building
Duration: 6 hours
2017, High Roof Van, complete with air conditioning, 13 seater.
- Guiding Services
- Private Transportation
- Admission Tickets
Estimated Local Cash Needed
50 NZ Dollar - Money should easily allow for lunch.
- Food, Drinks, Snacks