Destined to be Great from its Inception
Downtown Columbus isn't just the center of town, it is the center of commerce and government for the city. Named after Christopher Columbus, the capital of Ohio was a manufactured city: when Ohio decided to relocate the capital to the center of the state, they selected a forested, swampy area, and Columbus was born. What we call downtown was once the entire city of Columbus before it grew to become the 15th largest city in the U. S.
Join me as we take a look at both the past, present, and future of the capital city. We'll explore The Ohio State House, one of the greatest examples of the Greek Revival Style and the center of Government in Ohio. You'll also learn about the history of Columbus, from it's founding in 1812 to our involvement in the Civil war and beyond. Make sure to bring your camera because some of the sites on this walk are among the most photographed in the city.
CONTACT ME to customize this tour, including non-listed dates/times and for groups!
- Learn about how Columbus was founded and became the biggest and best city in Ohio.
- Walk along the Scioto Mile and cross the only Inverse Suspension Bridge in North America.
- Take pictures of the most photographed spots in the city.
- Learn about The Ohio Statehouse, one of the oldest working Statehouses in the Country.
- Discover the rich and somewhat scandalous history of Columbus as a city and the capital.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: I can work with you to select the best location. We often meet at the Ohio State House.
End location: We will typically end at the same location unless otherwise planned.
Duration: 1 hour 30 min.
Weather can slow things down, but we'll go rain or shine. Different times of day can see increased traffic, so we'll work together to select the best time for your group
This is a walking tour
Entrance to all locations (unless otherwise specified).
I am not a license tour driver, but can arrange any necessary transportation as needed.