The Amazing Geology of this Special Part of the World (in season tour)
Driving through the very special North Jutland countryside, we arrive at Skagen, where we visit 'Kunsten' Art Gallery, home to the work of the Famous Skagen Painters'. After a short drive to Grenen, we take the 'Sandworm' to the very top of Denmark. Here you can see and feel the raw power of nature in this part of the world.
Stand with your feet in the sea at the tip and witness a strange phenomenon; two seas colliding together. This is where the Skagerrak and the Kattegat meet. The lifting sea bed, strong currents and wind, changing and extending the shape of Denmark by 8 m. (2. 5 ft) annually.
Following lunch (not included), we drive to the sand filled church and our second example of the power of nature. Before leaving for home, we stop to walk on Denmark's Sahara Desert, Råberg Mile - yes, an amazing sight, enormous sand dunes moving 10-15 m. (35-50 ft) a year in a north-easterly direction. With a blue sky and the sun beating down, you could easily believe you were lost in the Sahara Desert.
Enjoy the delightful east coast of North Jutland as we drive to:
- Skagen, a quaint, former fishing village of delightful yellow brick houses with red tiled roofs edged in white. First stop is the Art Gallery to view the works of the famous Skagen Painters, after we have some free time to look around this bustling holiday centre, with its pedestrian shopping street and harbour surrounded by cafes and filled with yachts from around the world.
- Grenen at the very top of Denmark is we take the 'Sandworm' to Denmark's most northerly point. We witness the raw power of nature as two seas collide, extending Denmark north eastwards by 8 m. (26ft) every year. Walk on the wonderful sandy beach or roam through the dunes.
- Next is the sand filled church, abandoned in 1795 when drifting sand filled it faster than it could be emptied. Onto Denmark's Sahara Desert, Råbjerg Mile. With an area of 1 sq. km. and 40 m. high, it's the largest moving sand dune in Northern Europe and brings us to the end this fascinating day.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: We meet at a central location before moving onwards to the car hire depot. (location map to be included in the confirmation documentation).
End location: At the hire car depot or at a suitable spot of your choice.
Duration: 7 hours 30 min.
Modern, comfortable, private hire car or minibus driven by the guide, will be used between the sites to be visited. Walking from car parks to the sites is mainly on sand and gravel paths
My services as your private planner, organiser and driver/guide for the tour as described.
- car hire, all taxes, unlimited mileage, all insurance (incl. excess liability). fuel, etc.
- entrance to Skagen Art Gallery
- Sandworm 'chariot' fare
Note... the tour described (4 adults + guide) will use a family size, private hire car (guide driver) for all transportation. For other size groups, please ask for a quote.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
200 Danish Kroner - for personal expenses (snack/beverage, souvenirs, shopping, etc.)
Note… currencies other than Danish Kroner are not normally accepted. Visa and MasterCard credit cards however, are widely accepted in shops, restaurants, taxis, etc.
A stop for refreshments, at your own cost, will be made at an appropriate time.
Group of 2-3 persons: please enquire for a tour price to include - a private hire compact car, including all expenses, a guide driver and tour entrance fees as above.
Group of 5-8 persons: please enquire for a tour price to include - a private hire minibus, including all expenses, a guide driver and tour entrance fees as above.
I can also cater for parties of 18 to 50, using luxury coaches with driver and myself as guide - please enquire for details.
Due to legal restrictions in Denmark I cannot hire a vehicle for you. However, I am able to make a reservation on your behalf for you to complete prior to the start of the tour and for me to pay all the hire charges and act as your driver/guide.
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
This tour is well designed, distinctive, informative and fun. Michael, the guide, is prepared superbly well, and he is very congenial, flexible and interested in the subject. The combination of nature and art is a real winner.