Visiting the border between North and South Korea
Do you know the difference between the DMZ and the JSA?
There're two different types of tours to the border in South Korea.
DMZ: Imjingak Park - ID Check at the Unification Bridge (Civilian control line) - The 3rd infiltration tunnel made by North Korea (Highlight of the DMZ tour, You'll be only 175 meters away from the border inside the tunnel) - Dorasan Observatory (get a glimpse of North Korea through a telescope) - Dorasan Train Station (Northern-most train station in South Korea, the railway is connected to North Korea) - Back to Imjingak Park
JSA: Imjingak Park - ID check at the Unification bridge (Civilian control line) - Briefing at Camp Bonifas - Joint Security Area - Freedom House - Military Armistice Commission Conference Room (You will get to cross the border inside this MAC building) - UN Guard Post 3 - Bridge of no Return - Imjingak Park
* DMZ: Once we get to the Demilitarized Zone, we will have to change into the DMZ's own shuttle bus and go inside the DMZ with other groups of people. The shuttle bus driver will give us time to visit each places. DMZ is a military zone and entering the DMZ with a big coach bus is the only way to access the DMZ as a tourist. At each stop, we will be able to explore the site on our own. The shuttle bus driver will give the tourists 1 hour at the tunnel, 15 min at the observatory, and another 15 min at the train station.
* JSA: Joint Security Area is another strictly restricted military area and we will join the JSA group tour to explore this area. US/Korean military personnel will take us inside the JSA and there will be another tour guide conducting the JSA tour. This is the only way to visit the JSA which is located on the border of North and South Korea.
*Passport is required.
*There is a dress code for the JSA tour. I will send you the dress code once the tour is confirmed.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: lobby of your hotel
End location: lobby of your hotel
Duration: 8 hours
We will meet at 8:00 AM at the lobby of your hotel and head out to the DMZ. It takes about 1 hour to Imjingak park where we purchase the admission tickets to the DMZ. The DMZ tour takes 2.5-3 hours and the JSA tour takes another 2-2.5 hours. After the DMZ+JSA tour, it will take another 1-1.5 hours back to Seoul.
*** JSA tour is not available on Sun & Mon.
Private van (Hyundai Starex) + friendly driver
* Professional English-Speaking Tour Guide (8 hours, e.g. 8AM - 4PM)
* Private Van + Driver (Pick-up & Drop-off at your hotel are included)
* Lunch with the JSA tour group (Bulgogi: marinated beef & rice), Please notify me if there's a vegetarian in your group.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
100000 KRW - * JSA tour is conducted by only 3-4 tour agencies with special permits. The JSA tour seat costs 85,000 KRW per person which is payable directly to the JSA tour guide (around $78 USD).
* The admission fee for the DMZ is 12,200 KRW per person (around $11 USD).
* JSA tour fee: 85,000 KRW per person
* DMZ admission fee: 12,200 KRW per person
* Any other personal expenses: water, drinks, etc.
I am not a driver. I can accompany you in your vehicle or I can arrange for a separate car and driver.
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
Myself and two colleagues took the tour to the DMZ and JSA with Pam. Her and our driver were wonderful. Prompt on our pickup at our hotel. They were friendly and personable. Pam was very knowledgeable. They took us to the train station where we put our bags in lockers for when we left that night and then drove us back to the Seoul tower. We had a great day in Seoul thanks to Pam and our driver! Andrew H.