Landing/ Normandy/ June6/ A Day of Remembrance
For almost 5 years, I have been specializing in Private Guided tours of the D-Day Landing Beaches and the Battle of Normandy. I will be glad to share my knowledge about the most impressive naval campaign. With me you'll discover the carnage unleashed here in Normandy on 6 June 1944.
The tour can involve lots of action/walking about/exploring bunkers if you're in to that and depending on how energetic you feel, but a little warning about the weather in Normandy- it could be really nice, sunny, warm, shorts and tee-shirts weather when you're here. It could equally be nasty, cold, windy, raining when you're here. (Eisenhower's comment in the middle of a rainstorm on June 2nd 1944- "Don't you guys get a summer over here?") My best advice is to pack for the worst and hope for the best. During your tour you will be walking on concrete, gravel paths, through long grass, over rough, rocky ground and on sand.
Normally, one museum is visited during the tour and the entrance fee generally costs from 6 to 10 euros.
Typical itinerary: La Pointe du Hoc / Omaha /American Cemetery (The most powerful, the most humbling site, the Normandy American Cemetery has 9, 387 burials of US men and women overlooking Omaha beach)/ Longues-sur Mer, the original guns/ Arromanches
Tours can also be taken to visit the British Landing Zones (Gold and Sword Beaches) and the Canadian Landing Zone (Juno Beach). A two day tour can be expanded to look at other areas of fighting here in Normandy or you could take an indepth look over two days at what is normally covered on a one day tour.
- Utah beach, Saint Mére Eglise ("We'll start the war from here!" U. S. Brigadier General Theodore Roosevelt Jr. , the son of former President Theodore Roosevelt, shouted upon realizing the mistake)
- Juno Beach, Canadian Cemetery at Beny/ Reviers, Garden of the Canadiens at the Abbey of Ardennes/Caen.
-Gold Beach, Sword Beach, Bayeux Commonwealth Cemetery, Pegasus Bridge
P. S. the itineraries suggested can be modified while on the tour.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: - I can pick you up in Caen/ Bayeux/ Le Havre any other town in Normandy
- if you are to arrive to Caen by train, I'll pick you up at the train station: 15 Place de la gare - 14 000 CAEN.
- if you stay in the hotel located in Caen (or in the area approximately 15 km from Caen) WITHOUT transport, I'll pick you up at your hotel with the car and the driver.
-if you have your personal transport, the MEETING is Caen Memorial Museum, Esplanade Général Eisenhower, 14050 Caen ( the parking is free)
- if you stay in any other city/ town/ village in LOWER NORMANDY without a car, I can pick you up at your hotel ( for the additional extra pay depending on the distance from Caen).
Paris-Caen: 145 miles, 2h40
Caen-Bayeux: 19 miles, 30 min
Le Havre-Caen: 54 miles, 1h30
Caen- Mont St Michel: 79 miles, 1h40
Caen- Lisieux: 39 miles, 50 min
Caen- Honfleur: 39 miles, 50 min
End location: The DD landing tour can end:
- the train station: 15 Place de la gare - 14 000 CAEN.
- Caen Memorial Museum, Esplanade Général Eisenhower, 14050 Caen if you have your transport.
- Your hotel if you stay in Caen
- Any other hotel in Lower Normandy ( please mind the additional charges included to the price depending on the distance from Caen to your hotel)
Duration: 8 hours
For the groups up to 7 travelers you will be traveling in a nice VW minivan or a deluxe air-conditioned Mercedes ( contact me for the additional information) WITH the DRIVER and Svetlana as your GUIDE.
* I can customize the tour for smaller or bigger groups*
Estimated Local Cash Needed
15 euros - Lunch is as you like, bring or buy sandwiches, light cooked lunch in a cafe or 4 course lavish 5 star restaurant, you just need to say on the day.During our 6 hours tour you will get hungry!
In case you want to get some souvenirs on the way you have to consider around 10 Euros or more.
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
Excellent tour, guide, and accompanying driver. Great communicator very knowledgeable, reccomend highly!