Explore the battlefields and memorials where the first airborne-only attack in history took place
The Battle of Crete is unique because it's the first attack in history prepared and performed exclusively by airborne units. It was a man to man battle where belligerents had little support from their far flung bases.
In this tour I will give a detailed account of the battle of Crete regarding equipment, units, strengths and weaknesses, defence and attack positions, the course of battle and various stories. I can focus on specific units, nationalities or any interest you might have if I know in advance.
We will visit the main battle locations in western Crete at Maleme and Galatas, two cemeteries and a couple of memorials.
We will visit battle locations, memorials and final resting places of belligerents, where I will give an account of the battle of Crete and various stories. I can focus on specific units, nationalities or any interest you might have if I know in advance.
• Pick up at Souda port, your accommodation or any other convenient location in the greater Chania area. (the earlier the better, recommend depart at 8:00).
• Commonwealth cemetery at Souda. 42nd Street.
• Maleme airport and German cemetery. Visit Tavronitis bridge and the RAF memorial.
• Galatas village and NZ-Greek memorial. Welsh memorial. Possible visit to a collector for free.
• Agii Apostoli former 7th General hospital and later POW camp.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: Pick up at Souda port, your accommodation or any other convenient location in the greater Chania area. If in Chania city convenient location would be in front of the municipal covered market (Agora).
End location: Drop off at Souda port, your accommodation or any other convenient location in the greater Chania area.
Duration: 5 hours 30 min.
• Private A/C car Citroen Picasso C3 (7 seats including driver).
• My time and services as your private guide.
• Transportation in a 7-seater A/C vehicle.
• Visit 8 different locations.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
10 euro - For snacks and drinks.
Snacks and drinks.
• My car can fit 4 guests comfortably, folding back seats make room for two more (total 7 seats including driver).
• I am not licensed to guide inside museums or archaeological sites.