Visit the Catherine's Palace and Peterhof one day!
I invite you to spend a day walking in the two most famous countryside residences of the Russian Emperors: the Peterhof and the Catherine's Palace and Park. Both of them were private royal residences, widely opened to the Soviet public in 1918, then destroyed by Nazi in WW2, they have been successfully restored; so you may witness the unprecedented process of restoration. You will learn about very complex system of water supply to the fountains and the techniques of amber treatment, which are being still applied since the 18th century. Upon you preliminary request we may book an extra tour to the worldly-known amber workshop where the Amber Room ("the 8th wonder of the world") had been restored for a quarter of century before it was installed to the interior of the palace in 2003. We may spend hours talking about the Amber Room, but, as we say in Russia, "it is better to see once than to hear for a hundred times". After all, amber is believed to be curative and extremely good for your health)
- The tour starts in the morning, we drive away from the city, observing the old imperial road, "Soviet" industrial and suburban districts, modern urban, rural and resort areas, as well as some memorials to WWII.
- We may also include a subway ride (on our way) to see a couple of beautiful underground stations of Soviet times.
- Guided walk in the landscape park Peterhof where more than 150 fountains are spread over 112 hectares.
Completely destroyed by Nazi in WW2 it raised from the ash like a phoenix bird to open its doors for you.
- Lunch in a local place.
- Catherine's palace with the Amber Room (totally covered with the amber of 12 types) is considered to be the 8th wonder of the world. 1000 feet long baroque facade is like music: the rhyme is given by perfect symmetry of the constructive elements, the rhythm is set by the columns, standing on the same distance from each other and the melody is given by exquisite colour scheme. . .
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: Cruise Ship Port or the hotel, or any place you stay in.
End location: Cruise Ship port/hotel or any place in the city on our way or upon your request.
Duration: 8 hours
Peterhof park is opened during the winter, but the fountains and small palaces do not work. Instead we can offer a guided tour to the Grand Palace of Peterghof which is definitely better to visit during the winter.
Peterhof is situated on the very shore of the Finnish Gulf so it is always windy and colder there.
The total time of the tour may vary (up to half an hour) because of traffic/weather conditions.
Transportation by a comfortable air-conditioned car/mini-van (including pick-up and drop off).
- Transportation by a comfortable air-conditioned car/mini-van (including pick-up and drop off).
- All the tickets needed to entrance the palaces and parks;
- Still water (a bottle per person a day).
- All the transport fees (rapid road fee, parking fee, fuel cost, tax).
Estimated Local Cash Needed
1000 Russian Rubles - 1000 are approx. 20 USD. Currency is needed for snack/coffe break once or twice during the day. In most of the restaurants Visa and MasterCard are accepted (Note: American Express cards are NOT accepted widely). According to the local law, any transactions in foreign cash (except Russian rubles) are forbidden. The exceptions are the gift shops. For your convenience we may have a stop to withdraw cash from the ATM.
- Meals like lunch, snacks or coffee breaks.
- Personal Expenses (souvenirs, beverages like vodka or liquor, clothes, etc.)
- Entrance Fees IN CASE you want to visit other places (NOT listed in the Itinerary).
I am not a driver. I can arrange for a separate car or van and an experienced driver.
I am not permitted to guide in the Russian language in Peterhof, Catherine's palace, Usupov Palace, Savior on Spilt Blood Cath. - only English (inside).
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
We traveled to Saint Petersburg as a group of 8 person. It was a coincidence that we booked Elena as our tour guide but we were all very pleasantly surprised by her. She is professional, efficient, friendly, and her knowledge is history is so impressive - she thinks about the smallest detail to make the trip more enjoyable. She was all in one. She is recommended to anyone beyond doubt. :-)