Visit the Catherine's palace with the Amber Room
I invite you to visit the most famous highlight of Saint-Petersburg: the Catherine's Palace and Park. 1000 feet long baroque facade is like music: the rhyme is given by perfect symmetry of the constructive elements, the rhythm is set by the columns, standing on the same distance from each other, and the melody is given by exquisite color scheme. . . The most opulent tzars' summer residence in the past, it was widely opened to the Soviet public in 1918, then destroyed by Nazi in WW2. Today it has been successfully restored; so you may witness the unprecedented process of restoration. You will learn about the techniques of amber treatment, still applied since the 18th century. Upon you preliminary request we may book an extra tour to the worldly-known amber workshop where the Amber Room ("the 8th wonder of the world") had been restored for a quarter of century, before it was installed to the interior of the palace in 2003. We may spend hours talking about the Amber Room, but it is much better to see once!
- The tour starts in the morning, we drive away from the city, observing the old imperial road, "Soviet" industrial and suburban districts, modern urban, rural and resort areas, as well as some memorials to WWII.
- We may also include a subway ride (on our way) to see a couple of beautiful underground stations of Soviet times.
- Catherine's palace with the Amber Room (totally covered with the amber of 12 types), which is considered to be the 8th wonder of the world. It was completely stolen by Nazi in 1944 and then disappeared, now we can see a fruit of scrupulous restoration, which lasted for a quarter of century (1979-2003).
- St. Catherine's Church visit;
- Local farmers' market visit;
- Lunch (optional);
- Drive back to the city center.
Meeting Point + Tour Duration
Meeting Point Options: Rail or Bus Station, Cruise Ship Port, Airport, Hotel, Address or Intersection
End Point Options: Rail or Bus Station, Cruise Ship Port, Airport, Hotel, Address or Intersection
Duration: 4 hours 30 min.
The total time of the tour may vary (up to half an hour) because of traffic/weather conditions.
Transportation by a comfortable air-conditioned car/mini-van (including pick-up and drop off).
Estimated Local Cash Needed
1000 Russian Rubles - 1000 are approx. 20 USD. Currency is needed for snack/coffe break once or twice during the day. In most of the restaurants Visa and MasterCard are accepted (Note: American Express cards are NOT accepted widely). According to the local law, any transactions in foreign cash (except Russian rubles) are forbidden. The exceptions are the gift shops. For your convenience we may have a stop to withdraw cash from the ATM.
I can not deliver tours to defenite museums on the museums' days off:
Hermatage - on Mondays;
Catherine's Palace, Church - on Tuesdays;
Spilt Blood Church, St. Isaac's Cathedral - on Wednesdays;
Peterhof Grand palace, Church - on Fridays;
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
Elena is one of the most professional, brilliant and just overall wonderful people I have met in my life. Her English is fantastic, her knowledge of Russia is vast and her expertise when it comes to Russian history, especially Catherine's palace is top notch. With Elena, you not only get someone who is passionate about her country, an experience that you will remember for a lifetime. She is one of the most genuine sweetest people you will meet and I will always remember her and the experience. A++