When architecture becomes pure fantasy
In this tour, you will be able to visit some Art Nouveau buildings that characterized the beautiful architecture of Cartagena's old town.
You will enter the eclectic-style Town Hall: this public building shows off the economic wealth that the city experienced at the beginning of the 20th century. We will see the House Aguirre, with a luxurious ballroom, tearoom and a facade full of fantasy and symbolism, and its Regional Modern Art Museum (where nationally and worldwide prestigious painters and sculptors exhibit their works).
The Caridad's Basilica is an eclectic nineteenth-century church dedicated to the city patroness with important religious sculptures and paintings. After seeing that, we will get to a charming Pub located in a historic building from 1880. Here, Hans Christian Andersen lived. You will be offered a typical local home-made snack.
During our tour we will visit:
- The panoramic lift, which leads to a beautiful park, 45 metres up to a hill with a magnificent overview of the city. You will enjoy the sight of the city landscape.
- Eclectic Town Hall. On the main square, we will also see different modernist building facades like the Grand hotel.
- Aguirre's house, a bourgeois Manor where the modern art museum is located. It belonged to a rich tycoon's family and is quite luxurious and beautiful.
- A charming pub situated inside a building from 1880, where a meagre and typical home-made snack will be offered.
Meeting Location + Tour Duration
Meeting location: At the port, between the Chamber of Commerce and the restaurant Mare Nostrum, close to the cruise terminal.
We can meet also at your hotel, if it is in the city centre
End location: At the port, approximately at the meeting point, or at the hotel if it is in the city centre
Duration: 3 hours
This is a walking tour.
- My service as your tour guide
- Entrance fees to all the buildings and places.
Estimated Local Cash Needed
30 Euros - Though all the costs are included in the tour price, I recommend having some cash, in case you want to buy any personal item or a souvenir.
- Personal expenses such as souvenirs
- Drinks or coffee
I am not a driver. However, I can accompany you in your vehicle or I can arrange for a separate car and driver.
In some stretches and museums, I might not provide guiding information, because those places have their own inner guides.